Type Of Colour (Brand/paste/gel) For Fondant??

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 4:03am by drdm99

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 7

I'm a bit confused as to which type of colour I am meant to be using when colouring different cake materials.
In this case, I am trying to quote a fondant covered birthday cake and colours and types vary so much
Am I meant to be using paste or gel? .... what is least sticky and easy to kneed through ?

6 replies
PeggyH Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:30am
post #2 of 7

Now I'm just a novice here but I use gel to color fondant, it's not sticky but you do have to make sure to cover your hands in shortening (crisco) so that the gel doesn't stain your hands, kneading the gel coloring into the fondant is pretty easy as well. Hope this helps

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:54am
post #3 of 7

Any brand in particular I should aim at shopping for?

PeggyH Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:06am
post #4 of 7

I use the Wilton gels most of the time, but recently I have used Duff's gel colors and I love them, the colors are vibrant and don't fade and you don't have to use a lot of gel to get the primary color unlike the Wilton gels.

SweetSouthernBakery Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

I've never used Duff's but I love Americolor. You only have to use about half of the Americolor that you would have to use of Wilton colors. At least in my experience.

annie84 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:17am
post #6 of 7

I like to use Sugarflair or Americolor. Both are much more concentrated than Wilton

drdm99 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:03am
post #7 of 7

I use Americolor. They come is a huge variety of colors and their black and red color fondant beautifully without having to use too much. They also don't get a film over them like the Wilton colors do after some time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%