Need A Batter That Will Stand Up To My Oven's Fan Asap!!

Baking By CanadianChefette Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 11:48am by pattycakesnj

CanadianChefette Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 5

Hey cake lovers! So I'm working out of a new kitchen with an industrial convection oven with a pretty strong fan. My tried and true stand by chocolate cake recipe got totally blown away. The cupcakes turned out perfect on one side and then blown and goopy on the other side - that and they were totally misshapen and blownicon_sad.gif

Does anyone have a good dense chocolate cake recipe that is still moist to use for these cupcakes???

Please help!

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 5

My convection fan blows my cakes too, so I never use it for cake. Can you disable the fan somehow? Or turn it down?

The only other suggestion I have is to put some type of barrier between the fan and your pans. I'll have to think about that one...

scp1127 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:55am
post #3 of 5

This is the exact reason that I decided to put in a kitchenaid double convection oven (residential) as one of my ovens. My restaurant suppy person said they do make shields, but I don't know if they are universal or brand specific. Can you make a shield out of thin sheet metal that is removable (caution, sharp edges) hooked onto the back of the racks?

Evoir Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:31am
post #4 of 5

Out of interest - is that normal for commercial (bakery style) convection ovens??

pattycakesnj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:48am
post #5 of 5

my commercial convection oven has different speeds of the fan, we always use the lowest speed and there is never a problem. Can you turn down the speed?

Quote by @%username% on %date%