First Time With All Buttercream Frosting...

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 11:47pm by cheatize

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I'm from the UK and as of yet I have NEVER been asked to do a cake without either royal icing or fondant covering as it just doesn't seem to be what people choose here. However I had the first ever bride today ask if I would create a double depth carrot cake with just buttercream icing. Does anyone have any advice/pointers for someone who has never done an exterior of a cake in smooth buttercream frosting. They want to serve their cake as a pre-ceremony "canape" to their guests. As having never worked with this medium as a decoration apart from to split and fill and crumb coat before fondant I wondered if this is best left alone!!! I'm not a total novice cake decorator but this is not my comfort zone.

Any help/advice would be great. Its an August wedding also so heat etc is a worry.

Thank you icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 9

I would make a nice soft cream cheese icing since that goes well with carrot cake...I think the recipe has to be soft and plyable also or it tends to rip the cake.I use the WBH house BC recipe and add a brick or 2 of softened cream cheese.This icing is a soft whipped bakery icing and is easy to smooth.

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 9

I would use a recipe with at least SOME shortening. I think over there it's called Trex...not positive about that though. You can use IndyDebi's icing recipe (which uses Dream Whip-I think over your way it's called Bird's Dream or something-it's a powdered whipped topping mix), but hers uses strictly shortening and no butter. It is a good recipe and holds up well in the heat. Here's a link:

Another quick note about Indy's BC recipe, if you use it don't put the cake in the fridge or it will never crust over.

Hope this helps!

icer101 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 9

Here is a a great site to look at. Edna is a c/cer . hth
You will have a hard time just using origina cream cheese recipe to ice a cake for a wedding. Its great with carrot cake of course(original recipe) but now decorators add the shortening or hi-ration shortening to help stablize it for wedding cakes. It taste pretty good, but not like the original cream cheese recipe that doesn,t use the shortening. hth

http://www.designmeacake.com/

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 9

wow thank you all so much and thank you Annie for taking the time to give me such great advice and info. I am going to give it a practice run. thanks a million everyone

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 9

Just had a look at the you tube video it is really similar to doing royal icing with the scraper etc and I'm trained in royal icing techniques so maybe I won't do too bad - i hope lol icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 9

I'm glad it was helpful to you. I'm a details person so sometimes I'm worried about giving too much information.

I'd love to try an authentic fruit cake iced in marzipan and royal icing. They look so good in books. I just picked up a Wedding Cake book by Mich Turner and there was a cut slice in one of the photos. It looks so rich and so good.

If you ever come to the US, bring me a piece will ya?

icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I'm glad it was helpful to you. I'm a details person so sometimes I'm worried about giving too much information.

I'd love to try an authentic fruit cake iced in marzipan and royal icing. They look so good in books. I just picked up a Wedding Cake book by Mich Turner and there was a cut slice in one of the photos. It looks so rich and so good.

If you ever come to the US, bring me a piece will ya?

icon_smile.gif

Details are the best! I just didn't want to agree to something I was unsure of when I'm so used to being so sure of what I do normally. I have her books they are good aren't they. Royal iced cakes are amazing despite the time they take. I think fruit cake is my favourite! Well for all your help you can count on a slice if you're in the NY or NJ area icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 9

If you can smooth royal, you can smooth buttercream. I'm confident you'll have no problems with this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%