Adding Cupcakes To My Daily Menu

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm by wespam

Chef_Stef Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, I've been hearing lots in the last year that "Oh we WISH there was somewhere to get cupcakes here". Seems the demand has been enough, so I decided to start offering them for pickup by the dozen and half dozen during the week. Nearest specialty cupcake shop (only one I think?) is about 20 minutes away...everything else is Starbucks or deli counters, farmers market, etc. One local advertising here, but I have a *feeling* it's home based...(eye roll)

Would love to hear from any of you who have branched out in to cupcakes or are already a cupcake shop, I feel like I should start a "cupcake journal" lol.

Gotta have something to compliment the wedding season...

here's what I'm doing

10 replies
simplysouthern Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 11

YAY how exciting!! I would love to do daily cuppies but since Im based out of my church kitchen it's sorta of not gonna work LOL. One day I will have w storefront, ONE DAY!! Until then I will live vicariously through you, congrats and best of luck, I'm sure the cuppies will be flying off the displays!!

diamondjacks Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 11

Are those a quick selling price in your area?

Chef_Stef Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:15am
post #4 of 11

They are a bit less than my *old* price, so for my customers, who are already addicted to them, they're a DEAL. icon_smile.gif

diamondjacks Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 11

wow... I need to move out west... but I am sure the cost of living is up there as well! Thanks for sharing!

BlueMoon73 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:06am
post #6 of 11

If you go to her website, (the home based cupcake ladies), she posted on there that they are opening a store front soon! Might want to check that out, she also does cakes.

Chef_Stef Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:22am
post #7 of 11

What someone else is or is not doing, or charging, was not really my point. There will always be someone ready to jump into business; good for them.

What I AM interested in, .is anyome else whose gone from sttrictly custom work to offering retail cupcakes. I won't be trying to live off cupcakes; I'm just adding a niche business to what I already offer.

mombabytiger Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 11

I just visited Georgetown Cupcakes in DC. Lines around the block. Of course they have their own TV show. They charge $15.00 for 1/2 dozen.

Chef_Stef Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 11

I was there last year; born in Georgetown actually...LOVE that town.

It's not a huge deal, but I sold 4-1/2 dozen my first day!!!

Most bakeries here sell them for $1.50-3.50, starbuck's are 2.75 each. So yeah, pricing is all over the place, but I'm not trying to turn into a 15,000/cupcakes-a-day shop either. My main focus is weddings, so this is just something special for people to treat themselves to if they...aren't attending any weddings anytime soon. icon_smile.gif

It was a good day. icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #10 of 11

I worked out my house for the last 3 years making custom cakes (mostly wedding). It's legal to have a home bakery here. Well I just opened my store front about 6 weeks ago. I have cupcakes available daily. A total of 11 flavors (6 cake flavors and then other icings). I bake every other day for the cupcakes. I usually sell about 300 cupcakes in 2 days but I don't require pre-order and have no minimum. If you want 2 dozen or more then your need to pre-order. I haven't done any type of advertising other than facebook, my store-front and then the open and shut in the newspaper. Word of mouth has been great and I can only see my business growing. I didn't do too many birthday cakes when working out of my house but have been getting a lot more birthday cake orders. If you have any other questions let me know.

wespam Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 11

Chef_Stef, wondering how the cupcake business is going since it's been a few weeks. Are you finding that people will pre-order 1 dz or more cupcakes? Also how are you advertising? Pam from Bama

Quote by @%username% on %date%