Adding Cupcakes To My Daily Menu

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm by wespam

Chef_Stef  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, I've been hearing lots in the last year that "Oh we WISH there was somewhere to get cupcakes here". Seems the demand has been enough, so I decided to start offering them for pickup by the dozen and half dozen during the week. Nearest specialty cupcake shop (only one I think?) is about 20 minutes away...everything else is Starbucks or deli counters, farmers market, etc. One local advertising here, but I have a *feeling* it's home based...(eye roll)

Would love to hear from any of you who have branched out in to cupcakes or are already a cupcake shop, I feel like I should start a "cupcake journal" lol.

Gotta have something to compliment the wedding season...

here's what I'm doing www.cakesbystefanie.com/cupcakecafe

10 replies
 simplysouthern  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 11

YAY how exciting!! I would love to do daily cuppies but since Im based out of my church kitchen it's sorta of not gonna work LOL. One day I will have w storefront, ONE DAY!! Until then I will live vicariously through you, congrats and best of luck, I'm sure the cuppies will be flying off the displays!!

diamondjacks  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 11

Are those a quick selling price in your area?

Chef_Stef Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 2:15am
post #4 of 11

They are a bit less than my *old* price, so for my customers, who are already addicted to them, they're a DEAL. icon_smile.gif

diamondjacks  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 11

wow... I need to move out west... but I am sure the cost of living is up there as well! Thanks for sharing!

BlueMoon73  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:06am
post #6 of 11

If you go to her website, (the home based cupcake ladies), she posted on there that they are opening a store front soon! Might want to check that out, she also does cakes.

Chef_Stef Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:22am
post #7 of 11

What someone else is or is not doing, or charging, was not really my point. There will always be someone ready to jump into business; good for them.

What I AM interested in, .is anyome else whose gone from sttrictly custom work to offering retail cupcakes. I won't be trying to live off cupcakes; I'm just adding a niche business to what I already offer.

mombabytiger  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 11

I just visited Georgetown Cupcakes in DC. Lines around the block. Of course they have their own TV show. They charge $15.00 for 1/2 dozen.

Chef_Stef Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 11

I was there last year; born in Georgetown actually...LOVE that town.

It's not a huge deal, but I sold 4-1/2 dozen my first day!!!

Most bakeries here sell them for $1.50-3.50, starbuck's are 2.75 each. So yeah, pricing is all over the place, but I'm not trying to turn into a 15,000/cupcakes-a-day shop either. My main focus is weddings, so this is just something special for people to treat themselves to if they...aren't attending any weddings anytime soon. icon_smile.gif

It was a good day. icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #10 of 11

Chef_Stef,

I worked out my house for the last 3 years making custom cakes (mostly wedding). It's legal to have a home bakery here. Well I just opened my store front about 6 weeks ago. I have cupcakes available daily. A total of 11 flavors (6 cake flavors and then other icings). I bake every other day for the cupcakes. I usually sell about 300 cupcakes in 2 days but I don't require pre-order and have no minimum. If you want 2 dozen or more then your need to pre-order. I haven't done any type of advertising other than facebook, my store-front and then the open and shut in the newspaper. Word of mouth has been great and I can only see my business growing. I didn't do too many birthday cakes when working out of my house but have been getting a lot more birthday cake orders. If you have any other questions let me know.

Jenn

wespam  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 11

Chef_Stef, wondering how the cupcake business is going since it's been a few weeks. Are you finding that people will pre-order 1 dz or more cupcakes? Also how are you advertising? Pam from Bama

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%