Decoration Creativity

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 9:24pm by KMKakes

KMKakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 5

Being that I am a newbie to cake decorating (more of a hobbyist), 1. where do you get your inspiration for cakes? 2. also when a person ask for something that is very popular at the moment like for example peace sign cakes or zebra stripped cakes, how do you create different creative takes to make a cake original for the next person? I love to decorate and love looking at cake decorating books, yet I would love to learn how to become more creative with my decorating. (I hope this doesn't seem stupid...)

4 replies
cylstrial Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 5

A lot of people get inspiration from Cake Central, from magazines, books, wedding websites, from cake and cookie blogs and so on.

Just try to do something to change the cake or cookie. Change the color, or take a bow off, add a flower, change the border, etc. =o) Good luck!

Tclanton Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 5

Mainly I look here and I have a couple friends that are very helpful when I hit a road block.

What I have found is that even though my design may be similar to someone else's on here - it will always be different.

You will find a way to make it different. For me, the longer I do this the more creative I get. Odd how it works, but it does.

Good Luck!

simplysouthern Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 5

Not stupid at all! I read a very helpful book when I first started out all about making a wedding cake. (Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Dede Wilson....I highly reccomend this book!!) In this book was a way to brain storm for cake ideas. This brainstorming idea has since been my technique for all wedding cakes but I also use it for birthdays, showers, etc. Basically it teaches you to take a piece of paper and pen and think about the cake. Write down ideas and preferences in terms of taste, looks, settings, colors, EVERYTHING! Do not censor your thoughts go with what comes to mind. From the list you create try to start making sense out of what seems important and how to work in the things you thought of..........or the bridal couple thought of, or birthday girl etc etc.

I can give you fill details on this if it's something you would be interested in trying icon_smile.gif

ALSO, magazines are your friend. Not just cake mags but any mag really. I was just flipping through my 7 year olds Highlights magazine and fell in love with this funky print that one of the pages had as a background. I copied the page on my color printer and saved it in my idea binder (you have one of those right?!). I was recently at Homegoods and saw these amazing cake stands and took a photo, well Im doing a bridal shower in 3 weeks and will base the entire dessert table which includes a 6" cake, cupcakes and lotsa treats all on those cake stands..........which I went back to buy icon_smile.gif My daughters 8th birthday is coming up so I have been brainstorming with her to come up with some ideas, so far she is having an artsy solar system farm animal cheetah print theme HAHAHAHA, shes a little eccentric! LOL

Anyway my point is, don't limit yourself to things you think are supposed to be on a cake, let your imagination run and most importantly HAVE FUN doing it icon_smile.gif
HTH good luck and welcome icon_smile.gif

KMKakes Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 5

Interesting information everyone.

Simplysouthern thanks for referencing the book.

Quote by @%username% on %date%