Can You Add Color To Candy Melt?

Sugar Work By gin2ham Updated 1 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm by cylstrial

gin2ham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gin2ham Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 12

Hi,

I am thinking of making chinese gold coins chocolate for my son's preschool class for chinese new year. Does anyone know if I can add coloring to the candy melts (merkens / wilton)? How? I need it to be gold.

thanks so much!

11 replies
birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 12

Yes, you can color chocolate melts. You should use color specifically for candy as it doesn't have oil and can cause the candy to sieze.
http://www.wilton.com/candy/coloring-candy/

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 12

For gold, you would need to paint it on. If you don't have time to order a high end dust, you can get the Wilton gold dust. It is in a little tube. You put a little vodka or lemon extract mixed with a bit of the powder, then paint it on the fondant. I like to let the fondant dry a bit before painting on it.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 12

I'm not sure where you are located but the AC Moore in my area carries tons of different colored candy melts. You may be able to find a color close and just dust with a little luster dust.

gin2ham Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 12

wow! thanks for the reply!!! that was fast!!!

If i can not find the color to use can I still use the gold dust/vodka mixture to paint the chocolate?

thanks for the replies!

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 12

Yep, and you don't have to mix it with vodka....you can just dust them.

gin2ham Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 12

^ thanks for the reply. just one more question though, do you suggest using dark chocolate or is the peanut butter / butterscotch color better? thanks again!!

you guys are a big help to me all the time!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 12

You said this is for kids, right? Most likely they will not like to eat the dark chocolate. Also, does the school have a peanut butter restriction?

You might just use yellow. You could add a few pieces of brown to darken it a bit. Add one at a time and mix well.

Brushing the dust on dry verses mixing it with the vodka will give you two different effects. I seem to remember now that I had trouble getting the dust onto a chocolate item and I decided to just give up (it was turning out very streaky.) It works great with fondant though. You could do fondant; kids love eating that stuff, especially if you add some flavoring.

Or, to make your life even easier, get some of the gold foil wrapped chocolate coins. Print out some interesting pictures that have something to do with Chinese New Year, punch or cut out circles and use double sided tape to attach the pics to the coins. You can use regular computer weight paper, no need to use anything heavier.

You can also make your chocolate coins and get some of the gold foil to wrap them yourself. I think Wilton has little squares you can buy.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 12

Here is an example of putting a picture on the gold foil chocolate coins.

http://showerofroses.blogspot.com/2010/12/st-nicholas-chocolate-coins.html

Julie3255 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie3255 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 12

Also If you do the pulled sugar , if you roll in little tubes like the glue sticks for glue gun you can stored and save them, you can get a glue gun just to work with sugar and insert them like the regular glue stick it will melt them and you can fill them just perfectly i saw this on the food network and I try it and it work great, especially if yoy want to glue some things in sugar.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

Here is an example of putting a picture on the gold foil chocolate coins.

http://showerofroses.blogspot.com/2010/12/st-nicholas-chocolate-coins.html

I like this tutorial! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin2ham

^ thanks for the reply. just one more question though, do you suggest using dark chocolate or is the peanut butter / butterscotch color better? thanks again!!

you guys are a big help to me all the time!

I think the PB color would be good - as long as the kids don't have allergies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%