Can I Start Making Fondant Shapes 2 Weeks In Advance Or...

Decorating By kbnickel Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 4:16am by leafO

kbnickel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbnickel Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a fondant cake for February 6th, 2011 and I am wondering how early I can start making the fondant shapes that are going onto the cake? I am new to cake making and so I am not sure if I can start making the letters & shapes a week or two before the party.

Can I make them a couple weeks in advance or only a few days?

I don't want them to crack - is there a trick to keeping them from drying out and cracking before I get them on the cake?

Also storage suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help & suggestions!

Karin icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 9

I would start now..It isn't gonna hurt having it done a week or so before...They are gonna dry somewhat but shouldn't crack.Most decoraters do the decorations weeks in advance because they get so busy they otherwise would not have time.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 9

I always "try" to start ahead of time - doesnt always work. Just remember to place them as you want them on your cake. If it will stand on the cake - let it dry standing. I have a cake due Saturday that will have a few horses on it, and plan to start tonight.

Good luck!

kbnickel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbnickel Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks so much for the quick response! Any suggestions on how to store them for the 2 weeks before I put the whole thing together? Thanks so much again!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 9

I jsut store all my decorations out at room temp.We are dry here though so it might vary from parts of the country which are humid.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 9

I store mine in a airtight container at room temp out of direct sunlight. Pinks and purples tend to fade in just a day, if they are in bright light. So a dark cupboard is best.
If I need things to 'set up', then I leave the lid off.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 9

I leave mine out wherever I have placed them for 24 hours. Then I normally place in a plastic container of some sort and into the china cabinet. No one is allowed in that cabinet so all my creations are safe in there. And also away from sunlight and dust.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 9

I lay mine on a cookie sheet to dry, if I want them to be dry. However, if I want them to be semi-flexible for the decorating day, I put them in a plastic bag and lay the bag flat on the cookie sheet. For example, if it's a piece that has to go around the cake, conform to the curve of the cake, I keep it in a bag, otherwise it will be too dry.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 4:16am
post #9 of 9

When I want my shapes to dry I leave them out on a flexible cutting mat. I have also found that my dehydrator makes an awesome drying rack icon_smile.gif

When I want them to stay soft. (for flat pieces) I cut out a piece of parchment or wax paper the same size as a ziploc bag. Rub the paper with shortening and place fondant pieces on top(so they stick to the wax paper) Then I rub each piece with a bit of shortening, place a piece of plastic wrap over the top and slide the paper into the ziploc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%