How Far In Advance Can I Make These?

Baking By KayMc Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 9:35pm by KayMc

KayMc Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 5

I'm hosting a 90th birthday party for my mother on Jan 29. We have an old favorite family recipe for date & nut pinwheel cookies. It amounts to a rolled out dough. You cook the dates, sugar, water and nuts till it's a THICK paste, spread that over the rolled dough, and then roll it all into a log. You always have to refrigerate this rolled log overnight, for ease in cutting them into cookies.

My question, is far in advance can I make these logs? Since I'm off work today, I considered making them today and freezing them. However, I'm not sure if that'll be a problem to the finished product or not.

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance................Kay

4 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 5

While I have never made these cookies, my mom used to make them every Christmas. She always baked up a bunch and kept them in the freezer. Once she brought them out, she knew us kids would polish them off in no time!

KayMc Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5

But was it the finished cookies in the freezer, or the unbaked logs? I'm hoping to freeze the unbaked logs, so I can bake them the day before the party. Man, your post made me want to eat some RIGHT NOW!!

icer101 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, never made these, have eaten them. Lots of sites say you can definetyl freeze the logs of dough. here is one of them. hth

KayMc Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 5

Icer 101! Thank you! I'll get these babies made and in the freezer! Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%