Any Tips On Baking Square Cakes?

Baking By HG0265 Updated 20 Jun 2015 , 7:41pm by carolinecakes

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 18

Hi

I wonder if anyone has a tip for me on baking square cakes as the 4 corners never ever rise and are always approx. 1" lower then the middle, so I have a lot of problems in levelling the cake prior to decorating. I bake the square cakes at the same temperature as the round cakes and don't have too much trouble with the round cakes. I don't know why that happens. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

17 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 18

I had this problem initially too. After I fill the cake pans I take a spatula and push cake batter into the corners so there is more batter in the edges. Bake even strips may help as well.

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 18

I do check that the batter is spread evenly and it looks as if it is. Anyway, I will push more into the corners though and see if that helps. Thanks a lot.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 18

I do the same as the 2 previous posters. Whether a square or sheet cake, I always push some extra batter into the corners. I do this with brownies as well. Best of luck to you!

Cheriepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheriepie Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 18

Sometimes even though you push the batter into the corners, it is not as high as the center because you spray or brush the sides. I never spray my cake pans. (only character molds and bundts) I always use parchmant, cut to size on the bottom, I never spray the sides either. I find that it inhibits the growth of the cake, and it can end up with a rough edge that is folded over onto itself. After the cake is fully baked, I loosen it from the sides while still warm, with a small spatula, careful not to gouge the cake. I always yield about 25% more out of my batter. Try it next time you bake more than one of the same size, side-by-side. It really works!
Cheriepie

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 18

I have had good luck with the magic line pans. They seem to work so much better than the wilton pans when it comes to the corners. I also bake at a lower temp. 335 so the middle doesn't raise so fast and it's more even.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheriepie

Sometimes even though you push the batter into the corners, it is not as high as the center because you spray or brush the sides. I never spray my cake pans. (only character molds and bundts) I always use parchmant, cut to size on the bottom, I never spray the sides either. I find that it inhibits the growth of the cake, and it can end up with a rough edge that is folded over onto itself. After the cake is fully baked, I loosen it from the sides while still warm, with a small spatula, careful not to gouge the cake. I always yield about 25% more out of my batter. Try it next time you bake more than one of the same size, side-by-side. It really works!
Cheriepie

Cheriepie,
Thank you for these tips. I have been having exactly the problem you described...a folded over crunchy bit at the sides which has to be cut away, thus wasting cake. Do you spray or grease the parchment?

Cheriepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheriepie Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 18

I only spray the parchmant if I am baking Brownies because they are sticky and paper might rip and make me pick all those little pieces out one at a time..... icon_rolleyes.gif When spraying it can make your cake surfaces darker on the sides and bottom because the temp of the spray just a little bit higher, (because of the oil conducting the heat better)
Cheripie

Sangriacupcake Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks, Cheriepie! I'm going to try this immediately!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 18

I love making square cakes! Much more preferred than doing round!!

- grease, no flour, the pans (even the sides). This allows the batter to "slide up" the sides when the heat from teh bottom of the oven pushes the batter upward.

- reduce baking temp by at least 25 degrees.

- use baking strips. I wont' bake even a 6" cake without baking strips.
Here's a link on the science of why they work: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6626888.html#6626888

- here's pics of how my square cakes rise higher than the pan: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=334013&highlight=rise+higher

Sangriacupcake Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

- here's pics of how my square cakes rise higher than the pan: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=334013&highlight=rise+higher

Holy cr*p those cakes are high!!! Do you still use CK pan grease? Do you alter the cake mix in any way?

indydebi Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Holy cr*p those cakes are high!!! Do you still use CK pan grease? Do you alter the cake mix in any way?

pan grease and cake mix + one envelope of dream whip. I dont' think the cakes in the pic had dream whip in it though.

Sangriacupcake Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you!

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 18

Make sure you're using enough batter too. Square pans need more than round pans of the same size. I put a flower nail in the middle to help it bake too, so the middle gets done without the sides being crunchy. I also love the magic line pans. They will give you a nice corner, and don't get all dark and crusty like the wilton pans.

indydebi Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:09pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjules

Make sure you're using enough batter too. Square pans need more than round pans of the same size.

Very good point! I've even had this conversation with brides. I'd actually get an 8" round pan and put it inside an 8" square pan and say, "See those corners sticking out around the round pan? that's where the extra batter goes that gives you more servings in the square cake than you get in a round cake."

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 18

To get batter high up into the corners spin your pan just before putting it in oven. Works with round also.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:26am
post #17 of 18

Indydebi,
where can I find pan grease?

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 7:41pm
post #18 of 18

Good to know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%