Help With Transporting Castle Cake.

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 9:54pm by Annabakescakes

topaz176 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 11:09am
post #1 of 5

Hi I have a Wilton castle kit someone brought me.
I need to know what is the best way to attach these to the cake in order for the customer to transport it safely. I am not going to set up this at the party.
I need to know before next week.

4 replies
JanH Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:59am
post #2 of 5

There are at least 15 different ways to make a Wilton castle cake:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=301-910

Some cakes have the towers inserted into the cake layers, others have the towers
attached to the sides of the cake with buttercream.

Which cake are you making and how are the towers supposed to be attached? (Because I think the ones attached with b/c will be the least stable.)

HTH

topaz176 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:28am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

There are at least 15 different ways to make a Wilton castle cake:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=301-910

Some cakes have the towers inserted into the cake layers, others have the towers
attached to the sides of the cake with buttercream.

Which cake are you making and how are the towers supposed to be attached? (Because I think the ones attached with b/c will be the least stable.)

HTH

I need it to be as stable as possible. Especially the bottom ones. I will attach a dowel rod on the top ones. But I am still thinking how will I attach the bottom ones.

topaz176 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 1:34am
post #4 of 5

Sorry, I was referring to the towers. How to transport the fully assembled cake.

Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

Hi I have a Wilton castle kit someone brought me.
I need to know what is the best way to attach these to the cake in order for the customer to transport it safely. I am not going to set up this at the party.
I need to know before next week.

I have done that [email protected] 3 times, and each time the stupid things fell off during transport. I had success with the bottom ones each time though, due to using melted chocolate to stick them to the board.

The last time I did it, the car I borrowed to deliver it is starting shuddering and shaking and nearly bucked me off the highway, and I also had to drive over the rumble strips at 55 MPH, but I think the method I used would have worked, if not for that. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif

What I did was glue a Popsicle stick to them (overlapping 2 inches, but extending past the tower bottom 2 inches)with white chocolate, and jam the stick into the cake. I also made the buttercream thinner where they were touching, and put more chocolate there, and put chocolate under them. I chilled the cake for about half an hour before taking it, but in hindsight, maybe 2 hours in the freezer would be better!

My DH suggested wrapping a LOOONG piece of masking tape around it, sticky side up, then sticking it together tightly, to keep them from jiggling away from the cake.

I also recommend working from the top down, because your hands can knock them over if you do them from the bottom up.

I like the looks of the tower tops (the pointy bit) done in fondant, there is a pattern in the box, it is faster than icing, glue it with a bit of water. I glue the pointy bit to the turret with white chocolate.

Make the flowers 2 days ahead of time, and make 50 more than you need.

Allow about 12 hours to do the turrets and ice and assemble with the pre-made flowers, no kidding. This cake is a nightmare, and it takes 5 times longer than you think. I would also go ahead and do the turrets, and the flowers and windows and everything you can, now. RIGHT NOW, with royal icing or fondant. If you can do the whole cake in fondant, then the turrets would glue on with the chocolate much better. If you do what you can now, then you can have a life the 2 days before the cake is due.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%