1St Wedding Cake...tips?

Decorating By cakestars Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 1:44am by cupadeecakes

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 3

Hi all icon_smile.gif

I'm doing a wedding cake for my little cousin in September. This will be my first wedding cake and I'm really excited (at this point!)

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I watch all the shows and I normally bake birthday cakes and my largest has been 3 tiers.

She's having 200 guests so I plan on making a cake that serves 100 and 100 cupcakes.

It's a damask theme...deep red, white and black.

I'm looking at buying a couple of Alan Ross books...the wedding cake decorator's bible & sugar flowers for cake decorating...anyone have these?

Just basically looking for some advice & tips! Thanks!

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:00am
post #2 of 3

Ti 1: use SPS for support
Tip 2: always carry your paperwork with you as more and more venues require you to show a food service license and a copy of your insurance.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:44am
post #3 of 3

Congrats on doing your first wedding cake! You have plenty of time, so do some smaller versions before the big day. You can certainly get 100 servings from 3 tiers so you should be fine.

You really might want to check with the venue about licensing and insurance. Health laws are different from state to state, but in my state "gifted" cake is not regulated and doesn't have to come from a licensed baker or a licensed kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%