Cake In A Cup!

Baking By bellaudreycakes Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm by Crazyforcupcakes

bellaudreycakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #1 of 15

So my sister and I were in this bigger city today and we stopped to check out Cake in a Cup, I had never heard of them. I wanted to taste the cupcakes to see if they were any good, I am opening a cake/cupcake business and just wanted to scope it out even though its far enough away that it wouldn't be competition. Well I got just a reg. cupcake with vanilla buttercream and sprinkles for $2.00 and my sister got a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting and reese peanut butter on top for $2.50. and I have to say they were scrumptious thumbs_up.gif The buttercream they use was sooo good you could tell that they used just a hint of something in it that made it sooo good! If it weren't for $2/cupcake I might of gotten some more icon_surprised.gif Anyone else had a cupcake from here?

I told my sister it was a good thing they were not closer to us or I might be in trouble and she said oh no you would be just fine, the lovely sister that she is lol.

14 replies
simplysouthern Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:18am
post #2 of 15

Never heard of them but super cute name! What about the bc was so good maybe we an all work on figuring out the recipe or special ingredient.

bellaudreycakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:29am
post #3 of 15

I can't even explain it, it just was light, creamy, not too sweet, melted in your mouth, had a hint of salt I think? Which I don't add salt to my BC so maybe that was the secret ingredient lol? I head someone putting popcorn salt in their buttercream, wonder if thats it? It wasn't too salty either...just perfect!

NanaSandy Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 15

I use popcorn salt in my BC, it takes some of the sweet away, and my family/friends always say they like my frosting better than most! So who knows? Could be it?

bellaudreycakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:42am
post #5 of 15

I have a recipe that uses popcorn salt, I will definitely have to try it now! icon_biggrin.gif

simplysouthern Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:45am
post #6 of 15

I use popcorn salt as well depending on which BC I'm making. Try making yours w popcorn salt and let us know if that was the trick?! I always love tyring to figure out recipes LOL

JanH Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschilt1

I can't even explain it, it just was light, creamy, not too sweet, melted in your mouth, had a hint of salt

Sounds like it could be either SMBC/IMBC:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=679989&highlight=smbc

au_decorator_76 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:27am
post #8 of 15

That is a cute name! Also $2 per cupcake is not bad in this area. They run $3-$5 per cupcake around here. I also put popcorn salt in my icing. It's too sweet otherwise.

Kaylani Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:46am
post #9 of 15

I use salt in my buttercream too icon_smile.gif I add it when creaming the butter & flavors. I think using it at that stage makes sure it is fully incorporated icon_biggrin.gif

bellaudreycakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #10 of 15

Wow $3-5 per cupcake?? Someones bringing in the dough icon_lol.gif !! I do live in a small town my cupcakes usually start out at $1 for reg cupcake...and thats average here, who knows, maybe one day I will be selling cupcakes for 2-3$ each...if I can find out that secret recipe that is icon_wink.gif

I will have to try that SMBC as well, sounds delicious! thumbs_up.gif

MelissaMay Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:07am
post #11 of 15

Where can I find popcorn salt? I feel like I've heard of it, but the person was saying the grind it themselves?? Can you buy it in a form that doesn't need to be ground? Thanks

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:16am
post #12 of 15

I haven't been able to find popcorn salt, either, except for the flavored kind. I've tried all our local grocery stores, but they only have butter, ranch, nacho, etc. Does anyone know of any other stores that usually carry the plain popcorn salt?

cheatize Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:58am
post #13 of 15

Meijer carries it with the regular salt. Once I couldn't find it there for a couple of weeks, but it came back again. You can also check with the popcorn.

Corrie76 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:49am
post #14 of 15

it's super easy to grind salt if you can't find the popcorn salt...I just toss a 1/4 cup into a clean (lol, don't need any coffee bits in the salt) coffee grinder, run it for about 20 sec. and it's done, simple, lasts me for a long time too.

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks, cheatize! I have a Meijer in my town, so I'll check it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%