cakelady2266 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1 of

The new trend must be colored cakes. Can I use paste color to color cake batter or does it have to be liquid?

9 replies
DianeLM Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:20am
post #2 of

Yes, you can use paste color. I like to stir it with some of the liquid that will be going into my cake so it distributes more easily.

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #3 of

What's the best way to achieve a really rich colour once the cake is baked?
I once tried to add liquid food colour to the batter, though by the time the cake was baked, what was meant to be a pretty soft pink, ended up being a yellow / stained pink looking cake - tasted good but it wasn't the colour I was trying to achieve, it nearly looked cheap / old.

Sorelle Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #4 of

I get truer color by using white cake made with only the egg whites.

Sweet_Toof Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 1:57am
post #5 of

I tried it!
But I put too much color in, it was so concentrated, I underestimated the power of gel coloring! What was meant to be a raspberry marble mud ended up being a plain HOT PINK cake! Its still ok, its just really vibrant, I hope my paying customers don't find it an issue - 1 is a wedding cake but its only for the top tier.
I haven't cut it open yet (its in the freezer to use in a couple of weeks) but if its anything like the outside looks... there's no marble icon_sad.gif I just swirled it way too much. It was a slight disaster day - I left the flavoring out, put the tins in the oven, screamed, (screamed at my poor mother).... stirred in the flavoring and put them back in the oven to bake. I cut the top off, it tastes ok so that's why I'm thinking of not bothering to bake replacements.

PistachioCranberry Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 2:20am
post #6 of

If it's for a paying customer, I would remake it, if they specifically asked for a marble. My daughter would LOVE a hot pink cake.

Sweet_Toof Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:20am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistachioCranberry

If it's for a paying customer, I would remake it, if they specifically asked for a marble. My daughter would LOVE a hot pink cake.

that's where I think maybe I can get away with it, because they didn't ask for marble, nor have they seen or tried any of my cakes to compare with before.

indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 4:03pm
post #8 of

How can you tell how marbled it is by looking at the OUTSIDE? icon_confused.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:31pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

How can you tell how marbled it is by looking at the OUTSIDE? icon_confused.gif

well its looking rather pink, as it was in the tin before it went in to the oven.
But also, I cut some of the risen part off and all was pink. I'm HOPING its more marbelled throughout the cake?? :S

pood Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm

I have colored cake batter several times. I get the best results if I start with a white cake as stated earlier. I use paste colors and add it to the batter until I get the color I want. For me the color seems to deepen as it bakes. The shooters below began as white cake and I colored part of the batter red and part green.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=174037789277650&set=a.171841276163968.45611.171247566223339

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%