Cream Cheese Frosting/fillinand Fondant - Some Advice Please

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 4:58pm by katwo

allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 8

hi I've been asked about cream cheese frosting in a wedding cake. However the cake is to be covered in fondant. I've never used cream cheese frosting under fondant. When i think about it it sounds awful and just not plausible for staying fresh for very long or tasting any good or for not causing probs with the fondant? Or is that just me lol? to my mind its on a red velvet cupcake and that's it!

Any thoughts/advice appreciated. thank u

7 replies
Ambar2 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 8

yeah Im not sure if they taste well together, I have heard of creamcheese fondant though, I though I saw it in the recipe section

Ambar2 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 8

Cream Cheese base fondant

This is a recipe I came up with myself after a horrible experience with tasting Wilton fondant. It uses ingredients that are either in your kitchen, or will be easy to find. Now, FAIR WARNING: this is a soft fondant and is prone to breaking and tearing more than Wilton. I dont know how it compares to Satin Ice or Chocopan, because Ive never used anything but this andWilton It may be harder to get PERFECTLY smooth sides, but the taste is to DIE for All the cakes in my pictures are made with this fondant, except the baby shower cake, if youre wondering how it looks. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Cream Cheese base fondant
Ingredients
8 oz softened cream cheese (I prefer Philly, but other brands may be fine)
2 lbs powdered sugar (NOTE: the amount of PS required will depend on the humidity, altitude, etc.)
1/4-1/2 c. cornstarch
2 tbs corn syrup
1-2 tsp CLEAR vanilla
1-2 tsp almond extract
Instructions
1. Put cream cheese and half of PS in bowl, mix until smooth. (I mix by hand, but a heavy-duty mixer on low with a bread hook or equivalent would probably work as well)
2. Put half REMAINING PS (1/2 lb) in cream cheese with cornstarch, corn syrup, vanilla and almond extracts. Mix until smooth.
3. Take out of mixer and knead in as much PS as is needed for fondant to be smooth and ALMOST not sticky. If too much PS is added at this point, it will not roll properly. You probably will not need all the powdered sugar called for.
4. Roll out and cover cakes as you would with regular fondant. Also good for figurines, dries well for bows and other decorations. It may not roll out thin enough for realistic flowers, but I dont make those.
OTHER FLAVORS: Substitute any extract or flavoring in place of the almond. For example, Ive used mint flavoring and topped chocolate cakes with GREAT success
Chocolate fondant: Substitute 1/4-1/2 cup cocoa in place of cornstarch. Omit almond flavoring.

Ambar2 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 8

I havent tried it but maybe you should do a "trial" one just to be sure

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:25am
post #5 of 8

Ambar2 thank you so much for this - what a fantastic idea you are very clever thinking this up! I will definitely try this recipe out first and see how I get on. Thank you again

scp1127 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:31am
post #6 of 8

My last cake was cream cheese icing under fondant. It was great. It was only one of the tiers. I covered it in fondant last and then put the finished cake in my garage (cold weather). If I did it in warm weather, I would still just do that tier last and then deliver it.

Ambar2 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 11:45am
post #7 of 8

No problem, but I do want to clarify that I found it in the recipe section, Kansaswolf came up with it...I hope it turns out for you, she did say that its softer than original fondant so that's why you should give it a few tries, so you know what kind of temper it has. Good luck!

katwo Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 8

would anyone know how many cups the 2lb PS would be,,would it be the 8 cups like the large bag 1 kg would be? Also would anyone know if you could put this over a chocolat cream cheese pund cake, I am looking for something different for my friends birthday cake and not sure what frosying, icing or ganche would be best in between. any help would be nice,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%