People Just Shock Me

Lounge By Elcee Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 1:21am by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 7

...and they really shouldn't. I work in an "alternative" school and most of the time I think I've seen/heard it all.

Then along comes a new breed of idiot. I was shopping for groceries this morning; in the produce department I encountered a mother shopping with her teenage son (15ish, certainly no older than 16) and 2 younger daughters (overheard enough of their conversation to know this was the family set up; all 3 kids called her "mom"). The boy was wearing a t-shirt that read "Let's blow this joint" and actually had a picture of a lit joint on it!

REALLY? icon_eek.gif Not only did you let your kid buy this but you're willing to go out in public with him wearing it??? I SOOO wanted to say something but I bit my tongue.

I know this is way off anything cake related (though I did have powdered sugar in my cart icon_smile.gif) but ranting and raving to DH about it just wasn't enough. I think I'll go post on Facebook now. Thanks for "listening"!

6 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 7

Rather a sad commentary on what is to come.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 7

Yup..Unfortunatley this is where the youth is heading..Not all but alot...There is no way I would let me son/kids where anything like that..Neither my daughter looking like a hoochy when she goes out.I realize you can't and won't always know or control what your kids are wearing or doing but I sure can try!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 7

Before passing judgment on these strangers, consider what may have brought them to this point. The seemingly inappropriate shirt may be a small compromise on the parents' part. Take it from a former teen troublemaker. As a parent, you gotta pick your battles.

Also, there is a large pro-legalisation contingent. You may have just encountered nothing more than a political statement. icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Before passing judgment on these strangers, consider what may have brought them to this point. The seemingly inappropriate shirt may be a small compromise on the parents' part. Take it from a former teen troublemaker. As a parent, you gotta pick your battles.

Also, there is a large pro-legalisation contingent. You may have just encountered nothing more than a political statement. icon_smile.gif

Diane,

I agree about picking your battles, but i would have to say that would be a shirt that got lost in the laundry at my house icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:09am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Quote:

Diane,

I agree about picking your battles, but i would have to say that would be a shirt that got lost in the laundry at my house icon_biggrin.gif

Hehe... could you imagine the ensuing conversation? "Mom! Where's my joint shirt???" Oy! LOL

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:21am
post #7 of 7
Quote:

As a parent, you gotta pick your battles.

I totally agree with picking our battles...hair color? have at it...allowing my child to advertise blatantly using illegal drugs? Not a prayer. And no one would be able to convince me that someone who wears that shirt isn't using drugs.

I'm actually pro-legislation, if it's done right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%