Ship A Cake?

Decorating By VaBelle Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 2:05am by VaBelle

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone ship cakes? I would like to ship a cake to someone, but not sure how to go about it. Any advice?

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 4

It's a tricky one, isn't it! The best advice I got was from another member, Amberhoney. She sends cakes here in New Zealand fairly often and says she has not had many mishaps at all doing it this way. This is what she told me when I asked her how she did it:

"get yourself a sturdy, lowish box. then cut your cake board to fit snugly inside it. (i have a big supply of gib board that I use by tthe way, handy tip number # 1 (LOL THEN design your cake! dont try and find a box for a cake thats ready to go, trust me it can be impossible!

As long as the board fits well, with no movement, and the cake itself is kept to a lowish design (one to one and a half tiers only!!) and it is all stuck together really well you should be ok. glue the cake to the board with buttercream.

And by the way (handy tip #2!!!) only send cakes with a layer of fondant. This helps keep them fresh, and more importantly, keep them in one piece! Its a good idea to cut a square from the top of the box and cover with clear plastic so the courier can actually see what he/she is throwing in the back of the truck (we know they ignore the fragile stickers sometimes dont we) yes sometimes I send little figures wrapped in tissues for the recipient to attach when they get it. "

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 4

Thanks! I tried to give my aunt my cake recipe (the WASC) and she managed to mess it up so when she saw one of my cakes on Facebook she posted a comment asking if it tasted as good as it looked. I replied of course, but now I'd like to send her a little 6 incher just so she can find out for herself just how good my cakes, thanks to the recipe, taste. My family is very competitive when it comes to our cooking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%