Pound Cake?

Decorating By UniZamir Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 1:42pm by ncsmorris

UniZamir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UniZamir Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:00am
post #1 of 7

ok, i just started making cakes and im having a few problems. i use regular box cake since i have not the slightest clue how to make cake mix from scratch. but heres the thing, when it comes time to layering the cake, i have no idea how to flip the top layer onto the bottom layer without it falling apart. and then when i put the top tier on it, you can see the sides starts to bulge out cause the bottom tier is starting to fall apart under neath the fondant.

What do i use so the cake is strong enough to be able to flip easily onto the other layer. ive seen on cake boss how he just grabs the layers of cake and plots it right on the other. He can practically throw it up in the air and it wont break. Do i use pound cake and if so where can i get a really good recipe for chocolate vanilla and red velvet. HELP!

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 10:51am
post #2 of 7

Here's a Wilton link on torting cakes (the same principle applies to adding layers):

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/torting-cakes.cfm

HTH

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:43am
post #3 of 7

You are talking about layers and tiers, so I am confused with your question, they are not the same thing. Numerous layers together make up a tier. When you say the bottom tier bulges when you put the top tier on, do you have support in the bottom tier? You must have some type of support in each tier before you stack the next tier or they will collapse due to weight.

As far as putting layers together, I use a cake lifter or a piece of cardboard to slide the layer on top.

As for recipes, there are a lot of good ones here. For red velvet, I use Cake Man Ravens (just google it) and you can use WASC for the vanilla and chocolate, (those recipes can be found here)

Good luck and welcome to cc

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 7

If you're talking about flipping the layers over so that the cut side is down, I usually don't stack my layers at room temperature. If you freeze them first they are a lot firmer and can handle being moved around and flipped over.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 7

Buy a bunch of cardboard cake boards. They're cheap and they make everything easier. Put one over the top of your cake pan after the cake has cooled and invert it so that your cake is upside down on the cardboard. If you want to split that cake in half (called "torting"), get a second cardboard to slide the newly cut half-cake onto. When you are stacking the cake, put the bottom layer on your cakeplate, spread that layer with icing or filling, then gently slide the next layer from the cardboard onto the iced layer starting at the edge farthest away from you.

Stacking tiers is a whole different matter and, as noted above, requires a structure to keep the bottom layer from collapsing. Lots of tutorials available on stacking cakes -- look on youtube.

repowoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
repowoman Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 7

what is WASC?

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 7

White Almond Sour Cream - it's a cake extender recipe that uses a box cake mix, but adds other ingredients to "doctor" it. If you're thinking "sour cream?!? In cake?!?" well, you're not the only one, but give it a try. Trust me - it's really delicious and I get so many compliments on it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%