Champagne Cake Questions

Baking By playingwithsugar Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 9:05pm by AnnieCahill

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 24

Does champagne cake really taste like champagne? What's the recommended frosting and filling to go with it?

What recipe do you use for it?

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

23 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 24

To me is doesn't really taste like drinking a glass of champagne, but it does have a distinct flavor. Kind of bitter, but rich and somewhat sweet. I really like it paired with raspberry filling and white chocolate whipped frosting. I think the buttercream overpowers it too much, where the whipped topping (Pastry Pride, Bettercreme, ect) compliments it. Also very nummy with white chocolate shavings on top.

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 24

I forgot to mention that this is strictly a flavor combination experiment, not someone's wedding cake.

Sounds like berry is the way to fill this project. I was thinking of a wild strawberry filling. I have wild strawberries growing profusely along the fenceline of my yard. Anyway, I plan on picking them and using them as my filling.

I wonder, if I threw some orange marmalade in between, instead of a berry filling, would it remind someone of a mimosa?

I use smbc, which is not very sweet. Which type of buttercream did you try it with, mom2twogrlz?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 24

I sell a good bit of champagne cake for weddings. I almost always use a strawberry creme filling, as champagne and strawberries is a classic combo.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 24

OMG! I made a scratch champagne cake for my niece's 30th bday and made a SMBC using the champagne in place of the water....It was heavenly. It boiled off the alcohol taste and just left the champagne. I did a layer of this mixed with about 1/3 c. strawberry puree for the filling. It was great.

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 24

dynee -

You put water in your smbc? why?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 24

O, I forgot to say I use a recipe that uses powdered egg whites. icon_redface.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 24

I tried it will Indydebi's buttercream, and I think it hides the cake too much. I like a lighter frosting on it, so SMBC would be much better.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 24

Now a dummy questions from someone who has tasted the Champagne cake, but never made it nor had a drink of champagne.

What is the best champagne to use in this recipe, I just had a request for it this week lol.

I would like to pull out the sweeteness I have heard is in the champagne.... and the strawberries and cream filling sounds scrumptious!

leah_s... do you mind sharing your recipe for strawberries and cream? Is it just buttercream with pureed strawberries?

And a good champagne cake recipe would be helpful lol.

TIA

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 24

Champagne is not that sweet. A good champagne is considered dry, not sweet.

If you want a sweet taste, your best bet is to replace the champagne with asti spumanti. It's a sweeter version of champagne, and it's actually what I prefer to drink over champagne.

I make my mimosas and bellinis with asti instead of champers. Ooh - frozen bellinis from Olive Garden!

Sorry, got sidetracked for a minute, there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 24

How do you think a champagne cake would pair w/a peach mousse filling? I would love a good recipe for champagne cake if anyone is willing to share.

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 24

Bellinis are made with peach nectar (usually white peach, but orange peach works well, too), so I see no problem with a peach mousse.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:54am
post #13 of 24

Champagne and any fruit go together. i also agree - champagne is not sweet - if anything, it's bitter (people call it dry: I call it BITTER!). I prefer any bubbly Moscato to champagne.

Anyway. I've made a few champagne cakes - and I've made champagne cakes using sparkling white grape juice - honest to heaven... I can't taste a difference at all.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:30am
post #14 of 24

Anyone tried prosecco, the italian sparkling wine? I don't drink alcohol (headaches), but I use it in desserts and cooking for dinner. The prosecco is neither bitter or sweet. I am asking because I would like to try a champagne cake and you all have brought up some interesting points. Also bellinis are italian and I believe originated with the use of prosecco, and the fruit is perfect with it. I use Mionetto prosecco.

playingwithsugar Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:04am
post #15 of 24

Yes, bellinis are Italian, and were invented at Harry's Bar in Venice in the late 30's to 40's. The original formula is about 1/4 to 1/3 white peach nectar, then fill the champagne flute the rest of the way with prosecco.

I won't say that you cannot use it, but because of it's moderate taste, you may need to use more than called for in the recipe, to bring the flavor out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:10am
post #16 of 24

Thanks, playingwith sugar. So the milder taste of the prosecco may not come through? Good point!

rb822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rb822 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 24

if anyone has any recipes to share i would appreciate it, thanks!

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:58pm
post #18 of 24

me too i need a recipe please.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:14am
post #19 of 24

I have the Wedding Cake Book by Dede Wilson. She has a recipe for Bellini Cake. It's not actually in the cake but the filling. She makes a basic white cake, then washes the layers with peach eau-de-vie or peach schnapps liqueur. Then she fills the layers with the following filling:

Champagne Peach Filling:

(From the book) This filling depends on the quality of the peaches and jam, as mentioned above (Use ripe or fresh-frozen peaches and a good jam with a high fruit content-look for peaches first on the label. Cheaper jams will list sugar first). The champagne does not have to be expensive, but I do recommend a brut, or the overall result will be too sweet. I tested the recipe with Freixenet, which can be bought by the split (small bottle). This can be made up to 4 days ahead.

Makes 6 cups

3 cups peach jam (36 oz)
3 cups diced peaches (either freshly peeled or IQF, defrosted and drained)
1 tablespoon unsifted cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1/3 cup champagne

Combine the jam and the diced fruit in a heavy-bottomed, nonreactive saucepan. Cook over a low heat, stirring, until it simmers and continue cooking for 10 minutes. The mixture will reduce and thicken.

Meanwhile, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Stir this mixture into the hot fruit. Raise the heat and boil for one minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the champagne. Cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When chilled the filling firms, and it spreads easily over the cake layers.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #20 of 24

For a recipe I would try substituting the liquid in any white or vanilla cake recipe you have.

christiemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiemc Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:02am
post #21 of 24

I've used this recipe before, and everyone loves it: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6939/pink-champagne

My husband doesn't like fruit, and suggested I use a toasted coconut filling (made with Rich's bettercreme) which is a surprisingly good combo. Sometimes I add toasted almonds as well.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:12pm
post #22 of 24

thank you christiemc... I am looking forward to trying that recipe!

And thank you everyone, as this was very informational icon_smile.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm
post #23 of 24

This is interesting..I have had requests for this cake-but it was uncommon when I was growing up, so I do not have a real comfort level with it.

If this is made as a sheet cake-would it be standard to add a filling (other than what the customer would request), would the expectation be for it to be filled???
Thanks!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 9:05pm
post #24 of 24

I would torte it and fill, or you can make two layers, which would make a pretty tall cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%