Cake Pricing In Michigan-Please Help

Decorating By sarahkathryncakes Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 12:58pm by VanillaCoke

sarahkathryncakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 3

I started posting my cakes on Facebook and now I have so many orders I can hardly keep up! I have done research and called a few bakeries but would still love some kind advice on how much to charge. Im interested in pricing for just fondant covered cakes or cakes with fondant embellishments. Thank you so much and I would love some feedback.

Just click on Photos

2 replies
jason_kraft Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 3

Add up your ingredient costs, labor costs (i.e. how much an equivalent hourly wage would be multiplied by the number of hours it take to make and decorate the cake), and overhead costs per-cake (total annual spend for liability insurance, license fees, etc. divided by the number of cakes you make per year), then add another 20-30% for your profit margin.

VanillaCoke Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 3

I'm in Michigan, but it looks like we do different cakes, I'm entirely weddings/ big events. Cute stuff! I'm on the west side of the state, where the 'Dutch' mentality seems to rule (sorry if you're Dutch, that's obviously a generalization!) -The cheapest baker must be the best. Drives me crazy, but I've priced myself in the middle, and am doing fine anyway icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%