Basic Storage/freshness

Decorating By KMaryP Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 10:59pm by KMaryP

KMaryP Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I'm not only new here, but I'm new to baking as well. I may have made a real newbie mistake last night and would love some opinions.

I baked a sheet cake, crumb coated it with Indydebi's bc, and then left it on the counter overnight uncovered. Having never used this bc recipe before, I wanted to see how well it would crust and stand up to our high humidity (it did great). It was mentioned in another thread that leaving a cake out will make it stale. Did I just ruin it or do you think the crumb coat sealed it enough? I have time to make another cake but really don't want to unless absolutely necessary. Thanks!

2 replies
Coral3 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 3

Most cakes are best NOT refrigerated, so unless you had a filling that needs refrigerating (such as whipped cream, egg based mousse or fresh fruit), then it should be fine.

An uniced cake left out unwrapped will dry out though, but yours had been iced/crumb coated, which seals the cake & prevents it drying out.

KMaryP Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 3

Oh, thank goodness! I have so much to learn and this place is wealth of information. Thank you, Coral!

Quote by @%username% on %date%