Monster Truck Cake Request.....really Ugh, How The??

Decorating By simplysouthern Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm by KimAZ

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 11

Ok I knew I couldn't avoid it forever but I really really don't want to do it......it's the ultimate boy cake.....a monster truck cake!!! icon_cry.gif

I searched and found some great photos but wondering if ANYONE out there has some tips or how to's for making a monster truck cake?! I mean seriously I have 2 girls and one on the way so you want to talk about a foreign concept LOL!!!! I have a couple weeks so I know I will figure something out but any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thank you, thank you icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 11

I have made a few 3D Monster trucks.Make your self a base and then build the centre part with styrofoam and black construction paper around so when you attach the wheels..the truck looks higher up...I used the crueller donut for the wheels because the treds of the wheels looked so real.Once you get the base nailed it is very easy.I used the wilton 3D Cruiser pan for the actual cake with a few modifications by cutting the cake to look more boxy etc..The rest was just icing etc..Have a look in my older photos and you will see it there.It red...HTH

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 11

I made Grave Digger for my son's birthday last year. I built a rectangular wooden base with four fat dowels so it could stand up. I cut a 9x13" in thirds and stacked them. To carve I just had the little car in front of me and cut away. It was covered in fondant and airbrushed black. fondant accents were added as well as some handpainting. The tires were RKT covered in fondant. Some details were forgotten because I was just too tired to add them icon_biggrin.gif
Take a look in my photos.

Hope this helps.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 11

I have never made one but I would kinda do a spin off to kiddiecakes... I would use a block of styrofoam for the base probably a 2 or 3" x 4" or 6" and then the height (kinda a rectangle square)depending on the size of cake, this would give you, your height to the cake and than place a thinner probably 1/4 " thick for the base centered, make sure you place a cake board in the shape of the 1/4' base so that it will be safe to eat..(don't forget to place something (hot glue pieces together or frosting so they don't tip or come apart) and than from there stack and build your cake and I would probebly use RKT for the tires. Just my thougts on how to put it together. post pictures when your done icon_smile.gif

simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 11

THANK YOU LADIES!! These tips are SO helpful, I was seriously about to cry thinking about this. How horrible is that. Everyone has that cake that they really hate and this is mine. But now I am actually kinda excited!!

THANK YOU icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 11

Buy or borrow a Matchbox truck, spend some time rolling it on the floor while making "vroom! vroom!" noises. Then use is as a model for the cake. icon_smile.gif

I grew up in a household of girls and it wasn't that hard to bring out the Batman in me when my son came along. lol

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 11

If you don't want to go 3D, you could try something like this (instructions included):

http://www.easy-birthday-cakes.com/monster-truck-birthday-cake.html

Here's a 3D tutorial as well:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4813675_d-monster-truck-cake.html

simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 11

cheatize - my husband actually did buy my youngest girl a police car that makes noises and everything for Christmas (hes a cop lol) so maybe it's time to tap into my tom boy side!!

pmarks0 - you are amazing THANK YOU for taking the time to even post links!

I LOOOOVVEE CCers!!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 11

You're welcome icon_biggrin.gif

I'm in IT. It only takes a couple of minutes to run a google search and help someone out. icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 11

Depending on how many you need to serve, I'd do the base out of styrofoam if you need less servings, or out of cake if you need more. I did mine out of cake and just cut the bottom tier smaller and covered it in black fondant with the undercarriage design attached right to that. The tires are RKT, covered in candy melts (to hold its shape), then covered in black fondant and the tread is fondant also. I used a wooden dowel, extended from the tire to the cake to have the tires out from the body, and you can do detail (I have shocks) behind the tires that still show. It didn't take alot of carving at all. We bought a toy monster truck to use as a model, then returned it afterwards.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1813277

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 11

Hi,
I was lucky enough to be able to compete on Ultimate Cake Off last year and we did Monster trucks.

The trucks themselves were completely made of cake and sat on a piece of plywood. They were carved to shape, frosted and covered in fondant, then details added. We used rice cereal treats to make the wheels, then covered them in fondant and added all the details.

The wheels were mounted on a metal dowel that was attached to the plywood to hold them on, then nuts and screws to hold in place. It's a bit of engineering involved but it worked.

Good luck!
KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%