Bridal Shower Cake For Lawyer And Police Office

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 5 Feb 2011 , 2:11am by pmarks0

pmarks0 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:10am
post #1 of 9

I've been asked to do a cake for a bridal shower to 40 people. The bride is a lawyer and the groom is an police officer The person hosting wants to try and tie in the police aspect and had a couple of ideas but wanted me to give her some other options. She prefers buttercream, but if a design works better with fondant she's no opposed to it. I've given her a heads up that a carved fondant covered cake could cost as much as $150 and she's fine with that.

So, she mentioned something with a police car on a sheet cake and the faces of the bride and groom.

She thought maybe the police car in some way and again, their faces.

I was thinking maybe a carved car cake. I'm not sure how to tie in the bride and groom.

But I'm open to any other ideas.

TIA

8 replies
cakesrock Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 9

The police car idea is good, but you could add some cans tied to the back (the 'just married' thing). You could even use the Wilton car pan and carve to make it simpler.And this could easily be buttercream. I did a McQueen cake using BC with that cake pan. And you could use the law symbol (just use wedding bells on each side instead) as the ornament on the hood of the car. If that doesn't work, then you could incorporate it into the cake another way (even on the roof)
Good luck and please post pics after - would luv to see it!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://419.bittenus.com/pictures/symbol.JPG&imgrefurl=http://419.bittenus.com/8/8/shantalkoneal.html&usg=__08Ct1rNkejW-AgqOwMwdQx7jW8k=&h=170&w=186&sz=6&hl=en&start=83&zoom=1&tbnid=Crd_1sMQmigtWM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=148&ei=VvoxTZqxEoO88ga7y6HsCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsymbol%2Bof%2Blawyer%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1W1SNYX%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D576%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=530&oei=4fgxTaG5JpDqgQft55WtCw&esq=4&page=5&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:83&tx=104&ty=87

pmarks0 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:47am
post #3 of 9

I'm giving this a bump because I'm still stumped.

@Cakesrock - love the idea of the tin cans on the back.

I guess my issue is that I want to give the client a choice. I'm not sure if she wants a 9x13 (or even 10" square) with something on top. Or if I should push for a the carved car, tin cans on the back, and if I can do it (not sure I have the skill really, having never made people) gumpaste figures of a police officer and a bride.

I thought maybe on a 9x13 a police car in black and white fondant, sort of like a 3D image of it and put the bridge and groom's faces in the front and back seat?

Or do the 3D car, hopefully in fondant if she agrees, and again put their pics in th window? Tin cans on the back?

I have real trouble coming up with designs especially when the ideas don't mesh in my mind.

Thanks

cownsj Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 4:11am
post #4 of 9

How about a base cake of a "LAWS" book. Leave the title generic like that and it applies to both professions. Then on top of the book you can put a gavel and a pair of handcuffs.

pmarks0 Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:17am
post #5 of 9

So I presented the different options to my client and she chose a 9x13 sheet with "Best Wishes Lindsay & Ian" written on it, the police car done in fondant sort of in 2D and the face of the groom in the driver's seat (looking out) but she wants the bride (her face) in a bridal gown, hanging onto the lights on the top of the vehicle as if he's driving away. It's cute. Except I'm no artist so I'm not sure how draw the bridge to cut her out of fondant and I've had no luck finding something similar (not even a bridge) online.

I convinced her to go with fondant for the image because an O.P.P. car is mostly black with some white and I didn't want to make black icing or fondant (which I'll buy).

The cake is for Feb 4, so I'll post the finished cake then.

pmarks0 Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 9

So I finished the cake and delivered it today. I think it turned out not bad. There are definitely things I'd do diferently next time. But all in all, I'm happy with it.

The car is made from RKT and covered in fondant. I used luster dust and clear vanilla to paint the markings on the car as well as the wedding bells. The groom's face (and the bride's) are edible images. The bride is made of gumpaste and is on a toothpick with a block of gumpaste to act as a stopper so she stays above the car. I used a textured roller on the gumpaste for her dressing and (after I took the photo) I brushed it with pink luster dust to bring up the design.

It wouldn't add the attachment, so here's the link in my pictures.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1931130

cownsj Posted 4 Feb 2011 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 9

My immediate response was a giggle. It came out so cute. I like the concept.

pmarks0 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:11am
post #8 of 9

Thank you. icon_biggrin.gif

pmarks0 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 2:11am
post #9 of 9

Thank you. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%