Help!.what Are All Of The Bumps Some Of My Mm Batches Have??

Baking By jenscreativity Updated 18 Jan 2011 , 5:46am by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:53am
post #1 of 5

When I melt the marshmallows and then stir once done,,all of this yellowish color look is at bottom of bowl,,sticky and if it gets stirred into marshmallows, then into sugar,,the bumps looking like clumps of rock salt, is in my batch...So, I think it's the oils from the melted marshmallow that separates and drain to bottom of bowl..My problem is I'm trying to avoid stirring at the very bottom so these don't get into my batch being made, but it still happens! Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, how can you avoid this problelm b/c I love making this fondant, but I get soo frustrated with these clumps. Thanks a bunch for your advice..I want to get this down and smooth so badly but I'm trying whatever possible.

Jenifer

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 5

How old are the marshmallows?

It's possible you are overheating them. Try nuking them for less time and letting it cool just a bit before stirring and see if that helps.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 5

It sounds like you are overheating the marshmallows. Some things you could do to prevent this are reducing the power on your microwave to about 50%, cook for shorter intervals and stirring occasionally. You can even remove while there is a little solid marshmallow remaining and just stir until melted. It sounds like the gelatin in the marshmallows is getting to hot and is congealing at the bottom of the bowl.

jenscreativity Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of 5

The marshmallows aren't old as I know,,as when I bought them..they looked fresh and they are the good brand. When I warm them up, I was told to wait until marshmallows start to rise to know they are melted underneath then remove and stir until they are all in liquid consistency. I pull them out still when they are solid on top of bowl and mix to melt up. Maybe I'll warm them up lesser time instead and work more to melt them .

Do you stop microwave and stir, several times, or just melt them once and for all then stir them into liquid constistency? Just wondering b/c I am afraid to stop the microwave in middle of melting them to cause any difference in the proces..

What do you think?

Thanks so much!
jenifer

jenscreativity Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:46am
post #5 of 5

Ok, YEP! It was the marshmallows being heated too long. I tried it out today again and what a difference. I just put them in for a short time and mixed until all melted..a little more work, but managable and not wasting fondant now.

Yay!
Thanks to all who helped me!

God bless
jenscreativity (MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%