Cake Dummies

Decorating By rosey422 Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 12:44am by dsilvest

rosey422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosey422 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #1 of 13

how do i charge for a cake when half of it is dummies . Iknow the only difference is no cake but decorating is the same. Would i charge the sae because i have to purchase the dummies?? help please

12 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:30am
post #2 of 13

You'll get lots of answers on this one, but most range from 80 - 100% of the price. Personally, I charge the same as real cake for dummies because you're right, it takes me just as long as decorate and even though I don't have to bake layers, the styrofoam is actually more expensive than the ingredients to make the cake. HTH!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:45am
post #3 of 13

Where do you buy your dummies? I can get a 6",8" 10" and 12" for less that $15. I think it would cost a lot more than that to bake a cake this size.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 2:19am
post #4 of 13

Use your pricing worksheet and figure the cost just the same as any other project. That's what you charge.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 13

Cupadeecakes wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I charge the same as real cake for dummies because you're right, it takes me just as long as decorate and even though I don't have to bake layers, the styrofoam is actually more expensive than the ingredients to make the cake.

But doesn't this defeat the purpose of making the dummy cakes for most customers, because most customers go for the dummies to reduce the price, right?

dsilvest Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 13

The only way that a bride will save money is if the go to someone that makes only faux/fake cakes to rent out on a regular basis. The cost to rent these cakes is quite low compared to the cost of a real or 1 time fake cake.
My cake rentals start at $50.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:08am
post #7 of 13

I use dummies only to make a cake look more grand. The Bride realizes that she is saving very little since I only take 20% off the price of the dummy tiers but usually it's more so they don't waste the food simply because they want a bigger centerpiece. I buy my dummies at www.**********.com  (remove the spaces) because they are good and they are inexpensive.

Cat

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 12:35am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

But doesn't this defeat the purpose of making the dummy cakes for most customers, because most customers go for the dummies to reduce the price, right?

I am not sure who started this - but I wish they would STOP telling brides this. It is NOT cheaper to do a dummy...and it irriates me when they ask for them so they can get a "cheaper" price. Grrrrr.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 2:41am
post #9 of 13

I get my dummies from *************. Great service and SO much faster than www.**********.com . I take off 20% for the dummies...but that will vary depending on the design. HTH

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:26am
post #10 of 13

20% is still saving money.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 13

I just ordered 7 dummirs from www.**********.com for about 20 bucks...with shipping. I couldn't make and fill 7 cakes for under 20. But I see both sides of the argument. Most of what their paying for is the artistry...not not cake inside.

rosey422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosey422 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 13

thanks for your help, i did order the dummies from dallas and i was figuringing 20% off too just wanted to see if i was on the right track. she does want the dummies to make the cake look grander only the bottom layer will be cake and she is also buying a sheet cake. meeting with her tommorrow to go over everything wish me luck!

dsilvest Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #13 of 13

When you make the cake try to put the dummies together to be it's own cake so that it can be use as decoration for the rest of the evening at the wedding or as a sample cake for shows and/or for future clients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%