Cake Pricing

Decorating By cowie Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 2:44am by gbbaker

cowie Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:55am
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to quote a 3 tier wedding cake, covered in fondant, sizes 12, 8 , 4 " round. Ribbon to be put on all layers but will be supplied, I would need to make approx 9 gumpaste calla lillies. But have been asked to keep it as close to $100 as possible. I am coming up with a price closer to $200 and that's not making much. Am I on track? Filling is buttercream icing and flavour is a vanilla cake.

3 replies
marebare Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:11am
post #2 of 4

I have been doing wedding cakes for a little over 5 years now and pricing cakes is always something that is tricky for me. However based on your description, I would say you are very close to being on track in fact I would say a little under under priced. I usually try to work with the couple or the person paying for the cake very closely especially if they have a tight budget. Something I sometimes do when I'm really stuck on pricing to high or low is call around to other bakeries or private Chefs and get a quote from them as if it was you buying the cake. Then you know if you are under pricing or being comparable. Some times you have to sacrifice that nice profit for making the budget and a happy bride. Good Luck

Vanessa7 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:37am
post #3 of 4

Cowie, I think it is unrealistic for the bride to think she can get a 3 tier cake covered in fondant that serves 90ish people for $100. Around my area fondant covered cakes from the bakeries go for $4+/serving with specialty flowers being extra. I have trouble asking for that much a slice myself but don't want to give my time and talent away either. Unless this is a very close friend that you don't mind making less $$ from, don't undercut yourself.

gbbaker Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 4

Seems to low, I would figure out your cost for ingredients first it seems

that $100 might cover that. Then figure your hours to make and put

together. I have a price figured for each tier frosted and than an

additional amount for fondant for each tier

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%