Saving Unbaked Batter

Decorating By tat80 Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 5:25pm by NanaSandy

tat80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tat80 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 11

Weird question for you all. Has anyone successfully saved "left-over" batter from a cake mix? I used a box mix to make cupcakes, but only needed about half of it. I have more orders coming up that have not decided on cake flavors yet, so I don't want to waste it if I will be needing it in the near future. Does anyone know if I can store the left over unbaked batter in the fridge? If so, for how long?
Thank you!

10 replies
GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 11

I froze them. It bake almost the same as freshly mixed batter. I think it doesn't rise as high but the flavor and texture is the same.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 11

I only bake from scratch, so I can't speak for box mix batter, but I hold leftover batter ALL THE TIME.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:08am
post #4 of 11

wow, I never thought about saving batter...lol, I always just bake the extras and bring them into work...all my co-workers love and hate me for it...I'll have to try it next time icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:45am
post #5 of 11

Cake batter can be refrigerated for several days. If not needed for a longer period, freezing the batter is recommended.

It's easiest to freeze in the cake pan you'll use for baking (if you have enough pans).

Here are threads with more info on refrigerating/freezing cake batter:
(Includes the science of baking powder.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5914137.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580334.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-606527-.html

HTH

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:04am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the links Jan! icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:12am
post #7 of 11

You're very welcome MadameRaz. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 11

No bakery could survive without pre-mixed batter on hand.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 11

I freeze the extra batter in a ziplock bag on a tray, so it freezes flat. This way it will thaw faster and it is easier to keep in freezer. I just thaw it then cut acorner of bag and squeeze it in cupcake tins or cake pan. and bake as normal. I am not %100 sure but I think cupcakes bake more uniformly and puff more with a defrosted batter. I still have to do a comparison test!
HTH too!

tat80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tat80 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:04pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you! This is great information. I can always count on you people to help me with my questions!

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 11

I also freeze leftover box batter in a ziplock bag. My cake tastes the same, nice and moist. No texture difference, and you always have some on hand, when you want to do a practice cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%