Wedding Cake With Chocolate Poured Down The Sides

Decorating By zinger60 Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 11:12pm by Kitagrl

zinger60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zinger60 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 3

I have a woman who wants me to do a wedding cake for her. The cake is a three tiered stacked cake with buttercream frosting. She wants some kind of chocolate poured on it so it runs partway down the sides of each cake. I have never seen a cake like that before. Any suggestions on what to use? I have thought of ganache(, which I have never used before), I have thought of warming up store bought chocolate frosting or maybe using almond bark mixed with chocolate. It would have to be just the right pouring consistency. If too thick, it wouldn't run down the sides and if too thin, it would run down too far. Help! I have no idea what to use.

2 replies
cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 3

Here is a good tutorial for poured chocolate.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-first-how-to-demonstration-drizzles.html

I hope that helps.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 3

I would use a ganache, on the thick side.... to prevent it from cracking esp if refrigerated. And I would do one tier at a time...and use a spatula or the back of a spoon to carefully nudge some of the chocolate (that you poured on top) down the sides. Maybe practice on a dummy cake first, or the backside of a cake pan!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%