How To Go About Getting Legal In Ma?

Business By plymouthcakery Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 12:30am by bakershusband

plymouthcakery Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

I bake cakes out of my kitchen in MA, and I'd like to get licensed so I can sell them with a clear conscience. icon_wink.gif Who would I contact in my town/state about this? Also, my kitchen is not separate from the rest of my house, as we have an open floor plan. We have a cat and a dog (and children). Is this going to be a problem? I could gate off the kitchen (there is an island in the middle that I could put a gate on either side) if necessary, but it would be extremely inconvenient. Has anyone successfully gotten licensed with a similar situation? Thanks!

4 replies
bakershusband Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 5

You should start with your health Dept in your town. There are a few things that you will need and with the pets they will require you to gate off access.
I would also look at www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/.../residential_kitchens_faq_sheet.pdf
It's pretty easy but takes a little work.

dessertschick Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 5

Each town in MA is different, so you'll have to call your Health Department for their specific requirements. I live in Milford and they are extremely unfriendly towards home-based and small businesses of any kind. However, a chef I met in the last several months had no problem getting her kitchen in Natick certified, so my official working kitchen is hers.
Also, I got a ServSafe certification, which was a good move for a variety of reasons. So if you can't get your kitchen certified, at least get yourself certified. icon_smile.gif

plymouthcakery Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you very much! Someone else I know who bakes out of her kitchen said she got a DBA license and a Residential Kitchen Permit. Does that sound about right? I'm going to go down to my town hall to ask how to proceed from here.

bakershusband Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:30am
post #5 of 5

Yes, You need both of those and servesafe but your Health dept will be able to clarify that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%