Support For A Small 2 Tier B-Day Cake

Decorating By Mfattore Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 11:43pm by Mfattore

Mfattore Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 7

I am making 4 inch high tiers. 10inch round and 8inch round. Do I need sps or for a cake this small could I use straws? I have never tiered a cake before and this is for a 1st b-day for my girlfriends daughter. It will be fondant covered so the tiers will be a little heavy. I am not a professional....if you couldn't tell by the questions, just a hobbyist. icon_wink.gif Thanks!

6 replies
kelleyskreations Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 7

I am no expert but i would put in some straws or dowels. I did not on my first fondant cake and the bottom tier of fondant cracked because of the weight icon_sad.gif So now I put supports in all of mine icon_smile.gif

SweetSouthernBakery Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 7

I would put in dowel rods just to make sure. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

hollyml Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 7

You can use 4-5 straws (or lollipop sticks or small wooden dowels or thick skewers, or really anything of that general type that you happen to have around icon_smile.gif) poked into the bottom tier, with a cardboard cake round under the upper tier. The cardboard base rests on top of the straws/sticks/dowels and that's plenty of support for a cake that size.

Mfattore Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 7

Would it be overkill to use SPS? or am I better off with the dowel/straw method? Thanks for all the replies so far.

Goonergirl Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 7

I make small 2 tier cakes like that all the time. Just finished up a 10", 7" today. On cakes this size, I use bubble tea straws. NEVER (knock on wood) had a problem. I see Duff's staff on Ace of Cakes using them all the time too.

Mfattore Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 7

Straws it is! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%