How Do I Make Numbers Stand On Cake?

Decorating By Pammhill Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 6:45am by zespri

Pammhill Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Guys, I really need some help making my gumpaste/fondant numbers stand on top of my cake. The numbers are to celebrate an 80th birthday.

7 replies
pmarks0 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 8

If you look in my photos you'll see the two 50th birthday cakes with standing numbers. I made the numbers out of fondant and then put long wooden skewers in them. When I stuck them into the cake I placed small balls of fondant to hide the bit of skewer that was showing.

Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 8

I also use wooden skewers...I attach mine by using the wilton cookie icing..I glue it on to the back and let it dry overnight.It dries like royal icing.

sillywabbitz Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 8

I just recently purchase a chocolate mold that does numbers and it was so much easier than fondant.

Ive done fondant a couple of times but they're so fragile etc I think I'll be switching to chocolate from now on. I also love all the color combos and mixing I can do with chocolate.

Shelly4481 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 8

I use toothpicks. While the fondant is soft push them in and let them dry for a few days.

Cheriepie Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 8

I always use Gumpaste. It is meant to dry hard. I also have good luck with Royal Icing, you can get really fancy with RI.

Pammhill Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:10am
post #7 of 8

Thanks guys so much for the tips. I will try the skewers or toothpicks. Chocolate is also a great idea that I will try next go round. You guys rock!

zespri Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 6:45am
post #8 of 8

I do it the same way, with toothpicks, but here is an alternative:

Quote by @%username% on %date%