Gumpaste Make-Up Compact - How To Make It "open"

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 10:13am by Coral3

ncsmorris Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 2

I want to make a gumpaste make-up compact and I understand the basic concept - 2 circles for the compact, 2 smaller circles for the make-up and the mirror. My question is, once I get all of this, how do I attach the two circles to make the compact look like it's open (like a clam shell)? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

1 reply
Coral3 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:13am
post #2 of 2

A few ideas pop into mind, not sure if they would work as I've never made one myself, but it might give you a couple ideas to start with:

'Glue' them together with royal icing (same colour as the compact) and support until dry?

Make it all as one piece and then 'fold' it to the angle you want and support until dry?

Make it as two pieces, but before leaving to dry, insert a couple bits of wire into the back of the base, then push the potruding bits of those same wires into the lid part. Leave until dry before bending into position (& perhaps add a bit of RI to hide the wires & strengthen a bit more)?

Make the lid part that has to sit up with toothpick/s or wires or something sticking out where it needs to join and poke those into the cake so the lid is positioned so it looks like it is joined on to the other bit?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%