Confused About Cookie Dough Cupcakes

Baking By CakeGalUK Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 10:38am by CakeGalUK

CakeGalUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGalUK Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:48am
post #1 of 16

I am planning on trying the amazing sounding cookie dough cupcakes as per this recipe:

http://hellobaker.net/2008/10/cupcakes-cookies-and-dough-oh-my/

As far as I can see, the basics are:

Make an eggless cookie dough that will form part of the frosting

Make brown sugar cupcakes and inside these will be a centre of cookie dough

Make regular (with egg) cookie dough and from that bake mini cookies that will go on top of the finished cupcakes

My confusion is this... and I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something...

You reserve some of the 'regular' cookie dough and freeze balls of it, these are what will form the cookie dough centres in the cupcakes. However, the point of making the eggless frosting was to avoid having raw egg involved, but reading the recipe it seems to say that the idea of freezing the cookie dough that goes into the cupcake itself is so that it doesn't cook and therefore you have a cookie dough centre. Right?

So, surely that means the dough in the cupcake itself is raw, no?

I think I'm being dim or missing something... can someone explain please?! icon_confused.gif

15 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:39am
post #2 of 16

Ive never even heard of these, the sound yummy tho icon_smile.gif i love raw cookie dough :O lol!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:44am
post #3 of 16

The dough is frozen so that it does not turn into a cookie. If you are worried about it, see if the center gets to 165 degrees. Or just use eggless cookie dough in the center.

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 16

Just make the eggless cookie dough, substitute the egg with 2 tbls of milk. freeze and scoop in batter.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 16

I have a frozen pie recipe that calls for 6 raw eggs. Raw eggs worry me but someone told me that when you freeze eggs it help eliminate salmanilla. Sorry cant spell .

Not to sure I believe it but it makes me feel Better when I eat frozen cookie dough

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 16

Try this recipe:
http://annies-eats.com/2010/04/01/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-cupcakes/

I think she makes it pretty easy to understand. icon_smile.gif

HTH!

CakeGalUK Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces413

Try this recipe:
http://annies-eats.com/2010/04/01/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-cupcakes/

I think she makes it pretty easy to understand. icon_smile.gif

HTH!

Ahh now she does it a different way - she cuts the cake and adds the dough afterwards... I think I prefer the idea of it being sneakily hidden inside icon_smile.gif

Her eggless cookie dough recipe is actually very like one I have, it's yummy!

CakeGalUK Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Or just use eggless cookie dough in the center.

This was my thought, but I couldn't understand why you'd make an eggless version, then not use it throughout.

Also I'm not sure that variations in ingredients won't alter how it behaves inside the cupcake - by that I mean is there a specific reason to use the chewy recipe - because of how it spreads and sets.

What I was really trying to get to though was whether I was mis-reading it, it sounds like you are meant to use the egg dough raw in the cupcakes.

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionsofprisms

I have a frozen pie recipe that calls for 6 raw eggs. Raw eggs worry me but someone told me that when you freeze eggs it help eliminate salmanilla. Sorry cant spell .

Not to sure I believe it but it makes me feel Better when I eat frozen cookie dough

Freezing eggs doesn't actually do anything to salmonella. Nothing can get rid of it except for cooking them. If you are really worried about it then try to find pasteurized eggs.

scp1127 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #10 of 16

For years I have made the traditional key lime pie that only bakes for 10 minutes with eggs. We just don't serve it to babies and my pregnant daughter. I also do not offer it in my business. I will have to look into pasteurized eggs. Does it really take away the risks?

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:04am
post #11 of 16

I use a recipe from dmarvel on CC

I make the cookie dough and then mix into my buttercream. I am guessing you could core out the cupcake and add the cookie dough -- it is super yummy. I almost always have some in the freezer.

EGGLESS COOKIE DOUGH:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
2 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #12 of 16

The cookie dough does, in fact, reach 165 degrees. I am food safety paranoid, so when I wanted to try these cupcakes, I did a test. (I didn't actually look at your link, but I'm assuming they're the same type I see all over the internet... in any case, my version had cookie dough with raw egg in the center, so yours should be the same).

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

For years I have made the traditional key lime pie that only bakes for 10 minutes with eggs. We just don't serve it to babies and my pregnant daughter. I also do not offer it in my business. I will have to look into pasteurized eggs. Does it really take away the risks?

Well according to my servsafe class (which I had to take in Culinary school) it is supposed to take away the risks and is safe to eat raw. If you do a google search for pasteurized eggs then it will tell you some information about it and maybe help ease your mind. Hope this helps.

scp1127 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:44am
post #14 of 16

Thanks, sdrb84. I do research things to death, but haven't gotten to that. We at home love raw cookie dough and cake batter. We are healthy and no one for generations has ever gotten sick. We just take precautions with the little ones. With my business, I have collected some cooked key lime pie recipes, but I am a stickler for tradition. This is the original key lime pie recipe and it is excellent. I guess my heart isn't in developing another recipe. I will look into these pasteurized eggs. Thanks again.

CakeGalUK Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:04am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin121

The cookie dough does, in fact, reach 165 degrees. I am food safety paranoid, so when I wanted to try these cupcakes, I did a test. (I didn't actually look at your link, but I'm assuming they're the same type I see all over the internet... in any case, my version had cookie dough with raw egg in the center, so yours should be the same).

Ok, that is good to know... thanks! Except now I've confused myself further as I definitely prefer the taste of my own eggless cookie dough to the 'chewy' eggless dough (made it last night) so I was going to go ahead and use that, but now as I know it reaches a temperature where scientifically stuff will start to happen to it I'm concerned I'll end up with cookies in the middle instead of dough!! haha I do like to complicate things!!

Wonder if I've got time to test both.... hmmm...

CakeGalUK Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:38am
post #16 of 16

Right! In case anyone turns up this thread in the future I'll update it with my findings.

Just made a batch of the eggless dough that I have an old recipe for that I remember being great - and it's not a patch on the eggless one used on HelloBaker. So that's one of my problems solved!

Next tweak is to make the chewy recipe taste like the eggless one... I think a simple sugar tweak should do it icon_smile.gif

Update: I've made the chewy recipe again and used 1/4 cup granulated and the rest light brown soft sugar (last time I used some dark) It's good, I think a mix of the 2 would be bang on for my preference.

Raw it's definitely not as yummy as the eggless one, but I've got about 8 ton of it now so I will be using it inside the cupcakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%