What Do You Think Of This Recipe I Found?

Baking By bostonterrierlady Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 4:52am by regymusic

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:30am
post #1 of 30

I found a website or blog of a fellow cake decorator. It is www.thatreallyfrostsme.com She has under recipes a neat recipe for butterceam I am going to try. Check it out and tell me if you think this sounds good.

(Mod edited to correct broken link.) icon_smile.gif

29 replies
KeraP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeraP Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:55am
post #2 of 30

it doesn't work.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:21am
post #3 of 30

I found out you have to type it in and then it works.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:26am
post #4 of 30

Do you mean her "favorite frosting"? That recipe doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I wouldn't try it but everyone has their own taste and style.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 30

I believe Frostine is a participant here, so perhaps she will see this and chime in. I haven't come across a frosting recipe that includes sour cream before, but I'm always open to new ideas. Will you let us know if you try it and what you think?

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:18am
post #6 of 30

It's interesting. I've never seen a bc that has sour cream in it. Who's gonna test it LOL*????

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:53am
post #7 of 30

Yea, who's going to test it, lol

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:06am
post #8 of 30

I would also like to know if anyone is interested in doing a taste test!! icon_lol.gif If so, please let us know how it goes! I would volunteer but I am taking a sugar break icon_cool.gif I need to reaquaint myself with the treadmill for a little while icon_eek.gif

The recipe sounds interesting, though

khemerso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khemerso Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #9 of 30

I am definitely going to try this! My mom used to use Duncan Hines Sour Cream Chocolate frosting on all our birthday cakes and it was the best. I haven't seen it for years and it is the reason I don't like store bought frosting cuz it's just not the same as I remember cuz this was so yummy! I can't wait!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:30am
post #10 of 30

I think I might have to try this one!! I'm assuming it may have a "tang" to it like cream cheese frosting does.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:38am
post #11 of 30

I,ve had this site saved in my favorites for some time. Haven,t tried it, but i think it sounds really good. I also have a chocolate one saved using sour cream. That sounds good to me also. I will just have to break down and try these.

simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:46am
post #12 of 30

Ok brave ladies.......after you try them please let us know how they taste, frost, do they crust well, set well......if any of you try covering w fondant that would be awesome to know too!! I'm not gonna push it though since I'm too chicken to even attempt the recipe LOL

HMMMMM is this the start of a bc scratch off hahaha

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:13am
post #13 of 30

Hi everybody. I'm Frostine from That Really Frosts Me. I'm sure some of you have noticed that the frosting recipe in question is one that I originally found here at CC. I'll definately be watching this topic to see what the verdict is on this frosting. I love it. I've even made some variations on flavors that are very good.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:32am
post #14 of 30

I top some of my cheesecakes in a sour cream topping and it is incredible.

icer101 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:20am
post #15 of 30

I think Bronwen Webber makes her b/c , with buttermilk. I assume it would take like that. Gotta try that one too.
The chocolate sour cream recipe i have, comes from epicurious dot com

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=433403&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

icer101 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:20am
post #16 of 30

I think Bronwen Webber makes her b/c , with buttermilk. I assume it would take like that. Gotta try that one too.
The chocolate sour cream recipe i have, comes from epicurious dot com

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=433403&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

curliesue26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curliesue26 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 30

I also do a sour cream topping on cheese cake that is delicious! I have also used sour cream as a glaze before that worked really well. Sounds good to me! thumbs_up.gif

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 5:40am
post #18 of 30

O.K. ladies I tried this recipe tonight. I used it on a pineapple cake with lemon curd filling. It was for a masonic lodge meeting of my husbands. The frosting mixed up smooth, you can't taste the sour cream( or least I could'nt ) and it crust enough to do the viva method on it. It was not as sweet as regular buttercream, I liked it and will probably use it again. btw all the lodge members gave it a thumbs up too.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 30

Well I made this frosting today and I love it! You really can't taste the sour cream but at the same time there is the teeniest, tiniest little extra something that most people wouldn't be able to quite put their finger on.
I added vanilla bean to mine and definately will use it again! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 30

I'll try most anything once -- it sounds good. My concern though is the sour cream at room temp for any length of time -- she says it's okay but I'm still skeptical. icon_confused.gif

zooniecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zooniecakes Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 11:07pm
post #21 of 30

I also found this recipe from someone here on CC. I was skeptical at first but I wanted to experiment. Now, it's the only bc I use. You cannot taste the sour cream at all. It is less sweet than regular bc. I have never had a problem with leaving it at room temperature. But I beat mine for about 5 minutes after each addition and I use a combination of vanilla, almond extract and butter flavor. Everyone loves it because it's sweet, but not too sweet.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 9:53pm
post #22 of 30

Why was everyone so worried about using sour cream in frosting? Heck, we put shortening in frosting and it's disgusting.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 11:44pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjules

Why was everyone so worried about using sour cream in frosting? Heck, we put shortening in frosting and it's disgusting.

Shortening doesn't mold or turn into a bacterial breeding ground at room temp or cause serious health problems if it goes bad. Sour cream can.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:35am
post #24 of 30

The sugar is in such large quantity in the recipw that it acts as a preservative.

simplysouthern Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 1:42am
post #25 of 30

Ok I'm gonna give this a try as soon as I'm able to get off bedrest....hopefully Monday!! Thanks ladies for posting such specifics soooo helpful!!!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:04am
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjules

Shortening doesn't mold or turn into a bacterial breeding ground at room temp or cause serious health problems if it goes bad. Sour cream can.

Ladies, I just popped on to share some science - because I see a lot of people hesitant about trying new things because they are afraid it will make them sick. So first, I want to state the obvious, and you probably are going to facepalm and laugh after I point this out... SOUR cream. SOUR. Or, it's less sexy name, fermented cream, complete with bacteria and living cultures. icon_eek.gif mmmmMMMMmmmm!

But to make it that much more OK to eat in buttercream:

"Sugar, an organic compound in the form of carbohydrate, has been used as a natural food preservative in many food items. Sugar sweetens the food product and inhibits the growth of microorganisms through the phenomenon of osmosis. Foods can be stored either in sugar syrup or in crystallized form, where the food to be stored is cooked in sugar till the point of crystallization. Sugar acts by drawing out water from the bacteria and other microorganisms, which either kills the bacteria or inhibits their growth. Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/natural-food-preservatives.html

This is why you can add milk or cream cheese to your trusty American buttercream recipe and eat on it for a week. It's also why SMBC and IMBC are also fine to eat despite the eggs, and why this tasty sour cream BC will be fine also. Don't be afraid to try new buttercreams! thumbs_up.gif

Jen

heyjules Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:55am
post #27 of 30

phenomonon of osmosis thumbs_up.gif I love the way that sounds.

heyjules Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 3:58am
post #28 of 30

Bt the way, I didn't mean worried from a food safety standpoint, everyone seemed to be worried about the taste. That's what my comment was aimed at.

simplysouthern Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:12am
post #29 of 30

Jen that's so informative thank you!!

I was mainly worries about flavor, screw makin people sick lol jk
!! And yes so true we use crisco and hello disgusting!!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:52am
post #30 of 30

Many years ago, I use to add sour cream to my American buttercream. It was great! It really help to cut the sweetness of the frosting. Think of Ambrosia salad which has marshmallows and sour cream as ingredients. It does not taste like sour cream and fruit. The sour cream just takes the edge off the sweetness of the marshmallows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%