Batters With Pattern Baked In

Decorating By SadEyes Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 4:41pm by manda2177

SadEyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SadEyes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:04am
post #1 of 12

Not too long ago someone posted a link containing a turotial shoulwing how to bake a cake with a heart baked into the batter. Cannot locate it and would really appreciate any help in doing so. thanks

11 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:49am
post #2 of 12

I don't think it is baked into the batter. The ones I have seen are carved out, then colored cake crumbs, mixed with frosting, are squished into the hollowed out area. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Here is the link to the instructions for the heart cake.
http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2010/01/heart-cake.html

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:08am
post #3 of 12

I have a Wilton pan that creates the heart thru the middle.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 12

Thant sounds a lot better. Personally, I don't like the texture of cake crumbs mixed with frosting. Too mushy for me.

manda2177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manda2177 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 12

SecretAgentCakeBaker-sorry you dont like cake balls or the consistency of cake used to make them. icon_sad.gif

The wilton pan is different then my design in that I actually carve out the heart from the center so there is one heart. The wilton pan is like a tube so there are two hearts going around the whole cake. Its pretty neat actually.

Granted, my cake is a lot more work, but I think folks appreciate it in the end! icon_smile.gif

Happy Baking!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 12

Sad Eyes, you're right, there is a tutorial on that and I used to have it -- my computer crashed and I lost all my bookmarks icon_cry.gif but I'm looking to see if I have it stored someplace else. Stay tuned...

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda2177

SecretAgentCakeBaker-sorry you dont like cake balls or the consistency of cake used to make them. icon_sad.gif

The wilton pan is different then my design in that I actually carve out the heart from the center so there is one heart. The wilton pan is like a tube so there are two hearts going around the whole cake. Its pretty neat actually.

Granted, my cake is a lot more work, but I think folks appreciate it in the end! icon_smile.gif

Happy Baking!

Wow! that heart cake is awesome! I can't wait to try it. I was thinking of putting melted chocolate in the carved portions before adding the cake crumbs icon_smile.gif ...like a cake ball in the center of the cake!

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:

Happy Baking!

HELLLOOOOOO -- that's the tutorial I was thinking of!!!! DUH!!! (You know that song "if I only had a brain...") icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

manda2177 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 12

LOL If my computer crashed I think I would need a NEW brain! Holy stressful batman! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 12

Well that's one of my favorite tutorials!! (Did you do one on the cake with the baby chick inside?)

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

I wished I liked cake balls. I only make them with brownies, and no binder. I like it that way, but it does get boring.

When you put the cake crumb/frosting mixture into the center of the cake, does the cake soak up some of the moisture from the mixture? Is it less like a cake ball then? I might try it if it is.

Thanks!

manda2177 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 12

Your brownie version sounds delicious!

No, the cake really doesnt soak up any moisture... but you could certainly use less frosting to bind... just the bare amount to get it to stay in place!

I have done a surprise inside cake with cupcakes, not the cake ball version, and that tasted really good.

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2010/09/pumpkin-cake.html

I hope you try it and have fun with it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%