Storing Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By ChristianD Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 8:42am by SandraDoll

ChristianD Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:12am
post #1 of 4

What is the proper way to store marshmallow fondant? How long is it ok to just keep it in saran wrap and in an airtight gallon plastic bag? Can I make some up and freeze it? If so, what do I do when it's time to use it? Thanks for helping me with this!

3 replies
SandraDoll Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:09am
post #2 of 4

All of the above, from what I understand icon_smile.gif It's okay wrapped in cellophane/ziplock as well as in the freezer.

When it's time to use it just let it come to room temp, if it's too hard just stick it in the microwave for 5 seconds or so to soften it up.

Ziplock now makes vacuum bags with a little hand pump - they are *EXCELLENT*, and very cheap. I bought a starter kit (including the little pump) under $10.

au_decorator_76 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 5:31am
post #3 of 4

How long will it last out in a zip lock bag? I have 2 batches wrapped in saran wrap several times then in a zip lock and stored in a drawer. I've wondered how it would survive. This was a month ago. Is it still good? We don't have much freezer storage.

SandraDoll Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 8:42am
post #4 of 4

Basically, as long as it doesn't get dried out or taste weird, it's fine. There is nothing in MMF to "go bad" - it's just marshmallows and powdered sugar, so as long as it's a good consistency and good taste (powdered sugar gets a weird dusty taste after a while), then it's good to go icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%