Air Bubbles And Floppy Buttercream On The Top Cake Edges

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 2:25pm by Sangriacupcake

ptanyer Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:01am
post #1 of 10

I've been very fortunate when making cakes that I haven't had a case of air bubbles on my cake as I iced it. Until tonight icon_cry.gif Last night I came home from my day job and made a double batch of icing, torted my cake layers and stacked and crumb coated and washed everything up within 2 hours. I was feeling really good about my speed and the crumb coat on the cake was really smooth.

Tonight I come home and get ready to ice the cake and started with my roller for the Melvira method of smoothing my cake. Oh no icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif air bubbles everywhere! What, why???? My cake and icing was crumb coated at room temperature. I let it sit overnight at room temperature, no air bubbles and no bulging so I thought I was good to go. And then to top it off, my icing edge at the top of the cake is now floppy icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif You know, when you smooth the cake on the sides the top edge raises up and then when you smooth the top of the cake the edge pushes out. Endless cycle of fighting with the icing edges. I smoothed it all out as best I could and put it in the refrigerator to set for a little while and then see what happens. I was really tempted to take a pair of scissors and trim the top and then try to smooth it.

What do you do when this happens? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

9 replies
holliellen Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 10

Have you considered using Sugarshacks BC recipe? There are never any air bubbles ever! Her videos show you how to do the edges also and its not that difficult once you see her technique. Her videos have just helped me SOOO much.

holliellen Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 10

Have you considered using Sugarshacks BC recipe? There are never any air bubbles ever! Her videos show you how to do the edges also and its not that difficult once you see her technique. Her videos have just helped me SOOO much.

ptanyer Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:26am
post #4 of 10

I use Sugarshacks method for frostings all the time now. Whether or not I am making Indydeb's recipe or Sugarshacks recipe, I use the same method for all. I'm not talking about air incorporated into the frosting, but air bubbles (or blow outs) underneath my frosting as I was icing the cakes. I am absolutely baffled as to what made them happen this time. I had to poke each one with a needle and press the icing to make sure all the air was out and move all around the cake to get them all and then smooth it all out again. I lost so much time that I ended up being up until midnight and had to get up for regular job this morning icon_rolleyes.gif

simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 3:56am
post #5 of 10

Ladies could either of you be so kind as to tell me where in creation I can see the sugarshack video???? I YouTube sugarshack and Sharon Zambia and Nada pulled up! Ahhhhh help a girl out.

cheatize Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:05am
post #6 of 10

You purchase the video from sugaredproductions. It's not available for free, but it's well worth the money.

ptanyer Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 4:09am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Ladies could either of you be so kind as to tell me where in creation I can see the sugarshack video???? I YouTube sugarshack and Sharon Zambia and Nada pulled up! Ahhhhh help a girl out.

Sharon Zambito, SugarEd Productions and Sugarshack are all the same person. Check out her website: http://sugaredproductions.com/. Her DVD's are worth every penny. She is also on CC as Sugarshack. She is as sweet as she is talented, and so willing to help anyone out.

HTH's,
Pam

simplysouthern Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 5:11am
post #8 of 10

Thank you soooooo much!!!!!!

ptanyer Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 10

Welcome icon_smile.gif

Sangriacupcake Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 10

This part is free...Here she is making buttercream:

Quote by @%username% on %date%