Changing Yellow Cake To White Cake

Baking By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #1 of 6

I have a recipe for yellow cake that is amazing. The author of the recipe says it's yellow because it contains egg yolks. So I'm thinking I can make it a white cake recipe by excluding the yolks. Does anyone know if i can just remove the yolks, or do I have to add some extra whites?

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:06am
post #2 of 6

I would give it a try just by removing the yolks. I will try to research in the Cake Bible what the best thing is to do...she may have some suggestions in there about modifying recipes that way.

Would you be willing to share that yellow recipe? icon_biggrin.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:13am
post #3 of 6

Seriously, it's the best. I gave a cuppy to my hubby (hee hee!) who doesn't like cake, but he loved it and said it tasted like a donut. So for his birthday this year I got a donut shaped cake pan and made a giant donut cake with chocolate drizzle. I'm surprised he let anyone else have a slice.

I'm just wondering if just omitting the yolks will be fine or if I have to up the whites to keep a proper texture. I tried researching online with no success.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:28am
post #4 of 6

Of course you have to add more whites. Large eggs weigh approximately 1.67 ounces, with 1 ounce being the yolk. If you have 3 large eggs in your recipe, you need about 5 egg whites to equal the same weight. You might have to add a bit more fat in your recipe, too, as your new recipe will lose the fat from the yolks.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:21am
post #5 of 6

I believe I read that the yolk is about 1/3 of the egg, so if you pull 3 egg yolks out, that's the same as pulling one egg out of the recipe.

As I understand it, the yolk is also where the fat is and the fat contributes to the moistness of the cake.

I encourage anyone with better knowledge than me to correct me if this info is in error.

But yes, you have to replace that liquid.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 6

So I tried it. Didn't turn out so well. I think I used too many egg whites and too much butter because it didn't rise too much. And the texture is much like pound cake, whereas the yellow recipe is quite fluffy.

The recipe (in case no one watched the video) calls for 4 eggs and 6 ounces butter. I used 6 egg whites and about 8 ounces butter. I think if I scale it back to 5 whites and 7 ounces butter it might turn out fine. I also used half vanilla and half almond for the flavoring. Tasted good (but my fave flavor of cake is almond) but like I said the texture was a bit off. Seemed to take a long time to cook too. Almost an hour and a half, that was for two 8" rounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%