India Displays Most Impressive Cake Ever

Decorating By cownsj Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 2:17am by cownsj

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:43am
post #1 of 14

OMG, I just stumbled upon this cake. You have to see it....
"
Showcased during the 36th Annual Cake Exhibition, the sweet replica of Mumbais Taj Mahal Palace Hotel is definitely this years star of the show. Its made out of approximately five tons of sugar, and at 22 feet long and 14 feet wide, its about to enter the record books as the biggest cake ever made in India."

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/india-displays-most-impressive-cake-ever-in-bangalore.html#more-22297

13 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 14

So amazing!!!!!!! Thanks for posting it....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:00am
post #3 of 14

That is awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:02am
post #4 of 14

Ok, who on here is going to figure out how many servings that cake is, and how much they should charge for it???????

icon_confused.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:24am
post #5 of 14

It's beautiful, but I prefer the Plaza Hotel cake that Ron Ben-Israel and his team did for the hotel's anniversary. It's not as large, but the detail is gorgeous. They got it down to the littlest nook and cranny. Unfortunately, the pic I had is still in the belly of my old, dead computer, so I can't show you. Maybe someone else still has it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:25am
post #6 of 14

Apparently 15 people worked on the cake for almost 18,000 man hours and almost two months. It was made with five tonnes of sugar, and measured 22 feet in length and 14 feet in width. "All the structures were built using sugarcane and edible gelatine and colours."
If you check this link you'll see some up close pics that she they had people on the model as well.

http://anthony-samson.blogspot.com/2010/12/36th-annual-nilgiris-cake-show-2010.html

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:30am
post #7 of 14

That is quite a cake indeed!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:42am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

It's beautiful, but I prefer the Plaza Hotel cake that Ron Ben-Israel and his team did for the hotel's anniversary. It's not as large, but the detail is gorgeous. They got it down to the littlest nook and cranny. Unfortunately, the pic I had is still in the belly of my old, dead computer, so I can't show you. Maybe someone else still has it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing -- the Plaza cake was awesome!! I'm thinking it was bigger though, I have a picture with RBI standing next to it.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:04am
post #9 of 14

Meh, whats the big deal? I could whip that up in a weekend.....NOT!
Awesome cake!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:08am
post #10 of 14
simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:08am
post #11 of 14

Holy CAKE BATMAN!!!!!!!! That's insane!

cownsj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:09am
post #12 of 14

I hadn't heard about the Plaza cake, so I had to go looking. Here is one photo of it. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/plazas_100th/plazas_100th.html

They did price out this one... lol

"At 12 feet, more than 3,900 pounds and $120,000, it's the mother of all birthday cakes.

White-gloved waiters presented some 1,000 guests with silver trays of precut White Cloud Vanilla Cake with Cookies 'n' Cream buttercream, while the mini-Plaza stood untouched.

"It's constructed like a gingerbread house and smells like a giant cookie," Ben-Israel said. "At $120 apiece, it's a bargain!"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/10/02/2007-10-02_plaza_hotel_celebrates_100th_birthday_wi.html

And there are threads everyday about people who won't pay $120 for a whole cake..... icon_surprised.gif

Thanks pmarks0 for posting the closeups of the cake from India too.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:13am
post #13 of 14

Oh, and his cakes taste even better than they look. He graced us with a tasting every week that we attended his gumpaste flowers class. His banana cake is my favorite.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:17am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Oh, and his cakes taste even better than they look. He graced us with a tasting every week that we attended his gumpaste flowers class. His banana cake is my favorite.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Ya know, that's just mean.............

You got to take his class AND taste his cake, EVERY WEEK. It's just not fair..... icon_lol.gif (Do I look good in this shade of green?????)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%