Royal Icing Questions

Decorating By julz210 Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 1:38am by madgeowens

julz210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julz210 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:30am
post #1 of 5

Hello All,
I'm new to this forum as well as decorating. I've decorated my kids cakes via the cake molds and their decorations, but I'm venturing out and trying to do things free handed as well (as a side job for extra $$ since single mom). I'm getting ready to make my co workers birthday cake in a couple of weeks. She likes regular white cake with white buttercream icing only. So I'm going to do 2 tiers of round 9inch cakes, simple. All in white cake and white buttercream. However her favorite color is purple so I thought I'd do the purple royal icing flowers as borders and Pipe Happy Birthday in purple as well. My question is if I'm making the royal icing, the wilton beginners guide says make in 2 days advance. BUT....do I just let them sit on the counter for two days, do I put them in the fridge or what? The book doesn't say and I can't find on Wilton's website. I maybe blind too LOL.
Thanks in Advance. I'll put a picture of the last cake I made for my daughter in my photos shortly.

4 replies
dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:34am
post #2 of 5

any time I've made royal icing flowers, I have always just let them sit out on the counter at room temp to dry out.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:42am
post #3 of 5

Purple fades. Wait until the last possible minute before making them, or keep them under a dark cover until you use them. They do not need refrigeration.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:23am
post #4 of 5

yes...very good point..keep them in the dark...colors will fade in light...I found out the hard way!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 1:38am
post #5 of 5

WHY NOT JUST MAKE THE FLOWERS OUT OF BUTTERCREAM? i THINK ri TASTES BLECK....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%