What Colors??? Need Help Asap

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 4:21pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 14

Hello to all, I have a Birthday cake to do for Sat, it is for 2 sisters that want to share a stacked cake, one is 20 and the other is 17 , one wants Almond cake and the other wants Chocolate cake, with choc icing. What in the world can i do to these cakes to make them look good the Almond cake i can do im thinking Neon colors with power flowers and circles what can i do on the chocolate since its so dark, Help me please need to start on this tonight, Thanks to everyone, Im thinking wires on the chocolate its the smallest,

13 replies
brensmom12 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 14

I would do flowers on the almond cake and various circles on the top cake. Or here is another idea I saw a on flickr (www.flickr.com/photos/stephaniescakes/3998503423/). Good luck!

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brensmom12

I would do flowers on the almond cake and various circles on the top cake. Or here is another idea I saw a on flickr (www.flickr.com/photos/stephaniescakes/3998503423/). Good luck!




Thank You, i will go look at the website

pkinkema Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 14

Almond layer a lime green frosting with brown circles. Choc frosting layer with green circles. Green and brown bow on top.....

Marla84 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 14

Here's an example of white on the bottom with chocolate on top. You could do something like this with brighter colors. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1911477

Here are some examples of chocolate cakes with bright colors
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1687400
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1645059

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

Almond layer a lime green frosting with brown circles. Choc frosting layer with green circles. Green and brown bow on top.....




dont know if i will have enough time for the bow to dry, Need it by Saturday and i may have to work half day on Sat doesnt give me much time, She understands this and told me to do what ever i needed to she just wants a cake I like the lime green deal, I also thought of wrapping the choc layers in pink fondant and leaving the top exposed and putting wires coming out and then the bottom cake use brown and pink stripes, to tie it all together

pkinkema Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 14

[quote="cakebaker1957"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

Almond layer a lime green frosting with brown circles. Choc frosting layer with green circles. Green and brown bow on top.....




dont know if i will have enough time for the bow to dry, /quote]

Fondant and gumtex (or gumpaste) will easily dry overnight. If you use chocolate melts to assemble the loops, that drys almost instantly!

But your pink and brown with strips on bottom sounds cute. Since it's a female, you could add cute pink ribbon roses.

michel30014 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 14

Here's a cake with a similiar theme to what you are doing... at least the chocolate part.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1733912

SJenkins Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 14

I agree with pkinkema, If you mix your fondant 50/50 it will have plenty of time to dry. I have made many last minute bows this way. One word of caution, if you will be using 100% fondant on the cake and mixed 50/50 for the bow, tint the bow a shade darker than the fondant on the cake because it will dry lighter.

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJenkins

I agree with pkinkema, If you mix your fondant 50/50 it will have plenty of time to dry. I have made many last minute bows this way. One word of caution, if you will be using 100% fondant on the cake and mixed 50/50 for the bow, tint the bow a shade darker than the fondant on the cake because it will dry lighter.




Thank You , will keep this in mind for sure thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 14

cakebaker1957, instructions for a bow, in gumpaste, which rolls out thinner and you get that flowy characteristic.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-gum-paste-bow

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

cakebaker1957, instructions for a bow, in gumpaste, which rolls out thinner and you get that flowy characteristic.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-gum-paste-bow




wow thank You!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%