I just saw Snow White made of gumpaste, but then read things that said gumpaste actually tastes disgusting. So was Snow White just made for show?
gumpaste is edible. i personaly think its like eating fondant when its soft. but it dries rock solid so its not easy to eat - tends to just be for kids and suggar addicts at that point. and a figure is really too hard to bite into - figures are often done as keepsake items.
I personally would not eat it, but yes it is edible. I've only ever used the wilton brand but it smells gross when it is pliable.
Gumpaste is edible in the same way that toothpaste is edible. The right kinds don't taste bad. But you wouldn't want to take a spoon to it. If it's used for teeny tiny flowers or some tiny element of the cake, it's perfectly fine to eat. But for larger elements like roses and lilies and figures, I think they are primarily meant for decorative keepsakes. Plus, it dries really, really hard. So if you use straight gumpaste for a figure, you'd probably break a tooth on it. Whereas the paper thin petal of a raisin -sized flower would be more the texture of a potato chip and perfectly fine.
It won't poison you, but it tastes like ack.