My Mmf Cracked On My Cake Big Time!

Baking By s_mhammad Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm by metria

s_mhammad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_mhammad Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

I made a cake planning to take to a function today. It's unpaid for, just taking it to show some of my beginner skills, lol. Anyway I've only done 2 fondant covered cakes, but each cake was only 2-3 inch high and I never had a problem with cracked mmf. This time around the cake was 4-5 inch high (filling included) and when I applied the fondant it cracked a lot at the bottom. I ripped it off and iced with SMBC instead. I had no extra MMF to work with.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I did wrong???

3 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 4

could you elaborate on what you mean by cracked? did it split as you were trying to smooth it down? was it not stretchy/elasticy enough?

s_mhammad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_mhammad Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 4

There was more than enough mmf for my cake so that wasn't an issue. It cracked on the sides of the cake as I was trying to smooth it down. The top part was perfect. I wonder if maybe the excess mmf weighed down the sides and pulled, resulting in cracks. Wish I had taken a pic to show you.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 4

ok, i think i'm following ... do you mean some areas on the side ripped horizontally? like small tears? I'll pm you a post of what I mean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%