Diabetic Crusting Buttercream???

Baking By LadyH4 Updated 19 Jan 2011 , 3:54am by debster

LadyH4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyH4 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked to make a birthday cake for 50 people.... the person is a diabetic and was worried about the icing. I was going to just use fondant and have him pull it away before eating the cake but the cake that I found to make looks really good with just buttercream. So the question is.... is there a crusting buttercream for diabetics that doesn't have to be refrigerated?
Thanks so much if anyone can help.

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 11:20am
post #2 of 5

Diabetic recipes, hints & tips (cake and frosting):

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=522803#522803

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 5

There is so much more that diabetics have to worry about than just sugar. Carbs are also important for them to pay attention too. So I can't figure out why he'd just be worried about the icing.

My grandma was diabetic for years, for as long as I can remember. Her feelings were she'd rather adjust her eating during the meal and be able to splurge a little on dessert if she wanted it.

Considering icing is mostly sugar, I'd look for recipes that were lower in sugar. The IMBCs and SMBCs don't seem to have alot of sugar in them. Or what about a whipped cream that is lightly sweetened? Neither of those would crust, but crusting comes from the ration of sugar to fat. You have to have alot of sugar to make it crust.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

Did this person ask you about low sugar options? My mom is diabetic and she knows to take care of herself with sweets. She is able to eat cake and full sugar icing and sweets in moderation. She has a harder time with pastas and breads than sweets.

The other thing to think about is a party for 50, they may not WANT a diabetic cake. I for one cannot eat a lot of artificial sweetners and there are MANY people (myself included) that cannot have Splenda. If he didn't specifically mention the diabetic "friendly" icing (cake itself is just as bad as icing as far as impact on blood sugars) I might would discuss it with him before making that decision yourself.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 3:54am
post #5 of 5

Yeppers the carbs turn to sugar. I'm type 2 myself. Whoever comes up with sugar free icing is gonna be one rich person. Pillsbury makes a less sugar and now a totally sugar free one. Now for the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%