Need Some Serious Advice... And Honesty!!!!

Decorating By bellaudreycakes Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 6:14pm by costumeczar

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #1 of 15

I have been doing cakes on the side as a hobby for about 3 years, I finally am feeling as my techniques are up to par to open my own bakery. Problem I am having is I have always made my cakes from DH mixes and homemade frosting, usually BC, and have had nothing but great reviews from people, saying that its the best cake ever. Now I have never tried to bake a cake from scratch, just because it is so easy to do it with boxed mixes and like I said before everyone seems to like it. My question is, are there other bakeries that do this or should I start practicing some scratch cakes. I just hate to fix something thats not broken. Thanks for any input.

14 replies
cakinallday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinallday Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:41am
post #2 of 15

The bakery I get some of my boxes from uses the same mix and adds other ingredients to it. Like u said, if it aint broke don't fix it....... or do a taste test between box and scratch and let the majority be the cake you use.

If people keep coming then it's clear somebody likes box mix icon_biggrin.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:08am
post #3 of 15

Everybody's different on this one, but I agree with the PP. If people like your mix cakes, stick with that! We use both mixes and scratch recipes, it just depends on the cake flavor. We have had nothing but "Oh my gosh, best cake EVER" responses, both with mixes and our scratch cakes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:16am
post #4 of 15

some bakeries (custom cake shops) use mixes, or modified mixes, others use only scratch cakes, and others use a mixture of all three. It's a personal preference and you need to do what works for you and what you're clients are buying. If it's not broke don't fix it.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:41am
post #5 of 15

I only use box mixes too and I have never had a complaint - quite the opposite - everyone I make a cake for loves the cake so I figure why does it matter if I mix the ingredients or I let BC or DH do it. As long as the customer is happy and loves the way it tastes that is most important to me. Plus you can always WASC any cake mix if you need to.

SandraDoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDoll Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 15

Sure, why not! If it isn't broken, don't fix it. As a photographer, I don't do my own printing - I take the pictures, process them in photoshop to my liking and leave the printing up to a pro service. I'm in charge of the artistic aspect, they're in charge of the medium it comes on icon_wink.gif

Same kind of thing. For the record, as someone who is definitely more likely to buy a cake than sell one, I wouldn't care one bit if the cake was a mix, as long as it tasted good and the decoration was what I wanted. I think for most people they are happy as long as the cake part is flavourful and moist. Your artistic vision comes in with the fillings, frostings and decor. There is plenty to do when it comes to making a cake - if you can leave one or two aspects up to something premade and it's not a detriment to your cakes (like someone buying wilton fondant would be or something lol!) than heck, by all means.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 15

Most people cannot tell the difference between box and scratch anyway. If you are getting rave reviews now, don't change any thing. Good luck!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 15

I have to agree with everyone else! If you want to do some experimenting then go for it - otherwise stick with what you do best! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 15

Sandradoll - I like the way you posted that answer! Great way of looking at it!
I am also with the group of "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" Do what works for you! If you want to branch out, try a few scratch recipes and see how it goes. There is room for both types. I do both - but by far the majority choose the doctored mixes here.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 15

If you aren't advertising yourself as "every cake made from scratch!" then give yourself a break about using mixes. icon_smile.gif

Enjoy the ease of use and the fact you are getting great reviews!

You may want to experiment with some scratch recipes, just to have a couple on hand if you do get a specific scratch cake request. thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 15

I agree, do what works for you and what YOUR customers like!

You know, it's funny how nobody has an issue using premade fondant or gumpaste mixes but you mention cake mix and everyone is at eachother's throats.

Do what you know and what sells for your customers, if your customers aren't coming back then maybe you need to revamp your recipes, if they're coming back for more....give it to them!!

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 15

Practice scratch cakes just to have it under your belt but use what's working and what your clients like and are used to! There are lots of custom bakers who may frown upon mixes and that's ok......don't let it bother you or make you feel like you're short changing your clients. This is a customer service based business so do what your customers like!!

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks so much for all your input, great advice! icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I agree, do what works for you and what YOUR customers like!

You know, it's funny how nobody has an issue using premade fondant or gumpaste mixes but you mention cake mix and everyone is at eachother's throats.

Do what you know and what sells for your customers, if your customers aren't coming back then maybe you need to revamp your recipes, if they're coming back for more....give it to them!!

LOL That is sooo true!!!! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 15

As long as you tell any customers who ask that you use mixes, and dont't claim to be baking from scratch, have at it. If someone asks, they might have an allergy or another reason they need to know. As long as you're honest about it you can run your business however you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%