Help With Phrasing To Avoid Issue

Business By karateka Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 1:40am by AnotherCaker

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 13

I had a lady contact me directly via theknot.com. It said she "wanted to set an appointment to order a wedding cake from my company". I responded that I normally do my consults on Sundays, and would 1pm work for her?

She said that was fine, she'd see me then.

I'm concerned that she is expecting food. I don't do tastings for less than 100 serving weddings. How should I phrase the response so that she is aware there will be no cake but without seeming bitchy?

I called it a consult instead of a tasting on purpose...but I'm worried she won't make the distinction.

12 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 13

You can send her another email with an "Outline of what to expect at your consultation". You can also advise her of things she might want to bring with her; ie. copies of her invitations, flowers, colors, etc. And you can then add in that cake tastings are limited to weddings of over 100. Or you can say that a cake tasting can be scheduled during this same consultation at a rate of $20, or whatever figure you choose. That way you get paid for a tasting no matter the size of the wedding.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 13

You could make like a reminder email like this:

"You have scheduled a non-tasting consult with xxx bakery at xicon_mad.gifxpm on January xx, 2011. We are so excited to meet you! Please be sure to bring the following items to your consult so that we can best plan your perfect cake: ...."

Then, like the above poster said, if she asks for a tasting you can give her a price...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 13

Wow, I can see that being awkward! It looks like you got some really great advice though! thumbs_up.gif I pray it goes well, and all her brides maids and their sisters need you for cake too thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 13

Yeah, she wanted a tasting, and she wanted it free, and she cancelled.

Thank you for the advice, though! I will hold on to that one!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 13

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but do you ever combine a consult with a tasting if the bride tells you how many people in advance and it meets with your minimum?

cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 13

Just another thought to add in (even though she already cancelled), you could tell people there is a charge for the tasting, but that it will be deducted from the price if they book with you. (Providing that would work for a little smaller cake)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 13

Stupid brides...... thumbsdown.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 13

I want free cake too! Call myself a "bride" and call every baker in town. Good to be rid of her, as it was just an excuse to party with her gal pals.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 13

Wow, I bet you saved yourself a huge headache! I bet the tasting wouldn't have been all she wanted for free! icon_cool.gif

cownsj Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:25am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigachu

Wow, I bet you saved yourself a huge headache! I bet the tasting wouldn't have been all she wanted for free! icon_cool.gif

Sadly, when we went for a free brunch at a venue we were checking for our wedding (and they included two guests to come with us too), we did overhear people saying that if you go back periodically you can keep getting the free brunches. That was low, and this was no minor affair. They went all out with all their best food. There are people who will go out to get freebies, with no intentions of every buying, and well, like, after all, it's not hurting anyone.........

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:30am
post #12 of 13

What if she wanted a thousand dollar cake, nevermind that it only served a hundred.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #13 of 13

Oh, it was less for 100 servings. Well, anyways, I usually don't consider serving amounts, I consider price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%