Freezing Cookies

Baking By Bean123 Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm by love2makecakes

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 11

can you freeze shortbread cookies frosted with royal icing or fondant?
a friend of mine asked me to make 50 cookies for her sistes baby shower, which I have no issues doing, but, I am also having a baby and want to make sure I can get the cookies done. So, is it ok to freeze the decorated cookies?

10 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 11

I cant help you...But, would also like to know

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 11

i think the fondant covered ones yes, but do not have them stacked when defrosting.

no to royal icing, the condensation will break it down when defrosting.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 11

I freeze my cookies with the Carmie00 cookie glaze. You just have to make sure that they are not stacked after you pull them out of the freezer.

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

I freeze my cookies with the Carmie00 cookie glaze. You just have to make sure that they are not stacked after you pull them out of the freezer.

thanks for the info! what is the carmie00 cookie glaze?

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 11

Has anyone ever frozen cookies which have been outlined in royal icing and then flooded with a glaze of 1c. powdered sugar, 1 T corn syrup and 2 T water?

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15672/glaze-icing-sugar-cookie-icing

You can outline with the glaze if you thicken it up with powdered sugar. That way you don't have to make royal icing and glaze.

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 11

I have frozen sugar cookies decorated with royal icing in the past. just make sure they are completely dry before you freeze them. i put wax paper in between my layers. i had a couple casualties, but not many. just make a couple extra in case. HTH.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 11

I froze my sugar cookies decorated with royal icing with no problem. They defrosted fine - nothing broke down. I made sure they were really dry before freezing them and placed parchment paper between the layers.
I also froze royal meringue buttercream decorated cookies and, although they looked fine once defrosted they tasted really funky.

Hope this helps you.

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:37am
post #10 of 11

I have had to do this a couple of times, but at the clients request, as they have changed their date of their function. I much prefer the fresh option.

I individually bag each cookie in cello and heat seal them closed. (only after the cookie is ABsolutley DRy) Then I place them layered between baking paper in an airtight container.

When taking them out DO NOT OPEN the container until they have defrosted. this stops the moisture ruining them and your designs Should stay in tact.

There have been other posts in the past about this one too.

good luck. but if you have time practice with a sample in your freezer first.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I froze my sugar cookies decorated with royal icing with no problem. They defrosted fine - nothing broke down. I made sure they were really dry before freezing them and placed parchment paper between the layers.
I also froze royal meringue buttercream decorated cookies and, although they looked fine once defrosted they tasted really funky.

Hope this helps you.

so when u say "dry" do mean completely dry so that the royal icing is hard all the way through? I only let my cookies dry overnight before packaging, but if you bite into the cookie the inside layer of royal icing is still soft. that would be great if i could freeze them iced, i just assumed that moisture is really bad for royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%