Simple Syrup

Baking By sccandwbfan Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm by sccandwbfan

sccandwbfan Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, I was going to be a real newbie and ask you guys what all those tv cake people were squirting on there cakes. I was let of the hook but hearing one of them saying it was simple syrup. icon_smile.gif

Here\\'s my question (finally icon_wink.gif)

I see the them squirt it from a bottle, spray it from a bottle and then some brush it on with a pastry brush.

What\\'s the best method and why do you think so?

TIA

Christy

4 replies
adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 5

Equal parts sugar and water used to keep cakes moist.
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/simple-syrup/Detail.aspx

MadMillie Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 5

If using 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water you can also add 1/4 a cup of flavoring such as, vanilla, almond, lemon, coffee, orange, hazelnut, choclolate, or raspberry. I\\'ve used a brush, but I think the idea of a spray bottle sounds great. It would be much easier to make a larger quantity and store. If using a squeeze bottle the cake may easily become oversaturated.

cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 5

It's funny, we have a friend who is a professional chef and anytime we make a cake and bring it over (just for dinner or for an event), he talks about how delicious and moist our cakes are, then goes on proving his point of what a different it makes in the moistness of a cake when you use simple syrup. We've never used it, but he thinks we do because we bake right before we decorate and have the cake.... And we aren't about to tell him we don't because we figure he may decide they are no longer moist once he knows...

sccandwbfan Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%