How Do I Make Sharp Edges On My Cakes?

Decorating By harriet_87 Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 10:08pm by heyjules

8 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 9

That would be the upside down method of icing. It\\'s described in the articles section of this website.

Basically you just build the cake upside down and then flip it over. Easiest way to get sharp edges.

harriet_87 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you, I can\\'t find an article but I think I can guess what you mean, so do you roll out the icing, put the cake on top, fold the edges up and smooth it down?

brincess_b Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 9

using ganache rather than bc helps too. as does having square edges on your cake - often to do with the cake pan.
xx

simplysouthern Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 9

Not sure how you didn\\'t find it. I literally just did a search for upsdie down cake and it was the first article posted in articles. Use the serach function, it\\'s your friend icon_smile.gif

Here:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

cupadeecakes Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 9

A layer of modeling chocolate on top of the cake can help you get sharper edges. You can also take your 2 index fingers and place one at the outside edge and one on the top edge. Move your fingers around the edge of the cake, with those 2 fingers touching, soft of pinching the cake into a sharp edge. You wan to do this in a very fluid motion. I learned this technique watching Mike McCarey\\'s Cakenology (Car Cakes) DVD).

harriet_87 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 9

[quote=\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"simplysouthern\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"] Not sure how you didn\\'t find it. I literally just did a search for upsdie down cake and it was the first article posted in articles. Use the serach function, it\\'s your friend icon_smile.gif

Here:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/69/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing [/quote]

I did find that one but I wanted to know how to do it with fondant icing.

simplysouthern Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 9

If your edges are crisp with the bc then when you lay your fondant they should be crisp. Use your smoother (i sometimes use 2 and work them together) and hands as well to help get the clean edges.

heyjules Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 9

I think that the pan makes a difference too. I used to use wiltons square pans, and the edges never looked as crisp as I wanted. Now I use magic line pans and corners are nice and crisp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%