What Icing Would You Pair With.....

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm by Herekittykitty

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7

Caramel Cake? I immediately think chocolate, but that might not be the best one.

Banana Cake? Again, chocolate, but same thing.

Also, I\\'m going to make the Chocolate WASC cake next week and I can\\'t find the chocolate extract anywhere. I don\\'t have the funds to order it right now because I\\'m not working. If you have made that cake, did you omit it or substitute something else for it if you couldn\\'t get the extract?

TIA,

Christy

6 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 7

For the caramel cake I would use either Chocolate or amaretto flavored icing. I used these combinations for my wedding anniversary cake and it was to die for.
For the banana cake I think peanut butter icing or again chocolate can be used, it\\'s a nice combination.

For your Chocolate WASC cake, you can find the Lor Ann oil extracts at your local cake shop for 1.49. I have actually used the supermarket chocolate extract in emergencies. This of course is not as strong as Lor Ann oil but will do in an emergency.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone has better ideas to chime in with.

sccandwbfan Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you. Have you ever used the LorAnn Chocolate? The lady at my cake store said that one is the only one that everyone says tastes bad.

Christy

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:46am
post #4 of 7

I had an order last year for a caramel cake with cream cheese icing. I confirmed the flavor choice twice and was assured both times the combo is delicious.

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 8:19am
post #5 of 7

I've made the chocolate wasc with and without the chocolate extract and I honestly didn't notice too much of a difference. If you use the chocolate pudding and chocolate milk it will be fine.
And as a sidenote, I don't use coffee in my chocolate wasc, just equal parts water and chocolate milk.
Good luck!

sccandwbfan Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 7

Cream cheese and Caramel? I may have to try that just to see if I like it. icon_smile.gif

Afunk, do you mean that you replaced the 2 c. of coffee with 1 c. each of chocolate milk and water? I just want to make sure. icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 7

I just picked up a good sized bottle of chocolate flavoring at TJMaxx/Homegoods (Marshalls is owned by the same Company so you can try there too) for less than $4.

FYI: Some stores also have the boxes of Guittiard chocolate disks for $6.99 here. That's about 1/2 off from retail. I like it for ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%