Sculpted Cake - Golf Bag For 40Th Bday & Pricing

Decorating By Lori0514 Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 2:15pm by brensmom12

Lori0514 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I am making a cake for a friend's husband's 40th birthday party and she has picked a sculpted cake that looks like a golf bag. I have never done a scuplted cake EVER but it doesn't look too difficult to do. If any one has ever done one of these any suggestions would be great such as a cake batter that would work best - I think she will stick with the normal chocolate and/or yellow cake. I will be covering with fondant also. Does anyone know how to get the fondant to look like leather (in the cake pic it is brown leather - really cool effect).

Also, I do have a price sheet and was wondering what is typically charged for a sculpted cake? She is a friend and I don't want to go crazy but it's good to know for future orders. I was thinking I would charge what I would for a normal sheet cake that serves about 35??

PS: Would anyone recommend the cake decorating book by Debbie Brown?

Thanks for your help and ideas!!!

2 replies
sccandwbfan Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 3

I\\'m anxious to see the answer to this because I may be doing the same type only made out brownies....

Anxiously awaiting,

Christy icon_smile.gif

brensmom12 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 3

Make sure you use a dense cake (like pound cake texture). Carved cakes can be difficult to carve and ice if they are too moist. Also freezing the cake before carving can help as well. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%